lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
cmarkr1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G22 Solenoid clicks by itself

I have a 2006 Yamaha G22 which I recently purchased. It is stock 48V with new batteries. When the golf cart is off I have occasionally noticed that the solenoid will occasionally click with the key off and I am not touching the cart. It clicks on, then it hums quietly, then clicks off, sometimes it will stop sometimes it doesn't stop until I switch the tow/haul switch.

It does this if I move or rock the cart (even when its switched off) but I just assumed this was part of the regen feature. But what stumps me is why it clicks by itself if the cart is sitting still on level ground with parking brake so its definitely not moving and no one is rocking or touching it. For now I have just started using the tow/haul switch when I get done to keep it from clicking but I want to get it fixed. I thought about replacing the solenoid but I want to make sure it will fix the problem before I do. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
cmarkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G22 Solenoid clicks by itself

If the speed sensor is right near a magnet pole change, it can generate pulses and cause this to happen. It thinks the cart has moved. It's not a bad solenoid.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
cmarkr1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I don't have any magnets or anything mounted near it. Could it be its just speed sensor going bad?
Old 03-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Try unplugging speed sensor (at passenger side of motor). If it still does it, it is some type of error in the motor controller. I agree, not a solenoid problem (solenoid doesnt turn itself on & off, only does what its told by the controller). Also note, the solenoid is purely commanded by the motor controller, not the pedal switch or key switch.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The speed sensor works with a magnet mounted to the end of the motor shaft so you sure do have a magnet. If it is in just the right position, it can do what you are seeing. It should be very rare though.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
cmarkr1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I unhooked the speed sensor and didn't hear the solenoid click on after that so I guess Ill try preplacing the speed sensor and hope that fixes the problem. Any suggestions on the speed senor, is an aftermarket one reliable or is that one of the things you should stick with OEM?
Old 03-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would stick with OEM. I have heard bad things here about some of the cheaper aftermarket ones.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Its easy to replace. What model motor do you have? Your cart is right in the range it could be one of 3 stock motors. GE, Advanced, or Hitachi (advanced was best of the 3 IMO). You will need to know this to get the right sensor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
cmarkr1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It has the advanced motor, I just on OEM one so hopefully that will fix the problem. Thanks for the responses, Ill definately let you know if it doesnt work.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha