lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
daddy
Not Yet Wild

Default Help choosing clutches (Drive and Driven) on 1989 Carryall with 22 HP Kohler 1 1/8"

Hey, Folks.

I have a 1989 Carryall that's getting a Kohler CH22 transplant. It's got a 1 1/8" shaft and I'm not finding a ton of options for drive clutches. I see the 94C out there, but that requires a wider belt than stock.

Am I missing anything, or are the pickins that slim on 1 1/8" bore clutch setups?

Am I going to have to change the driven clutch anyway?

Sorry for another clutch question but I've searched and there's no one definitive thread that I can find and many with good content are many years old.

Thanks!!!

daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Help choosing clutches (Drive and Driven) on 1989 Carryall with 22 HP Kohler 1 1/

U will want to upgrade to the wider belt u will not find many 1" belts plus the wider belt is better for more power

They do have the comet 94c for that crank
And they do make a HD clutch for the club car rear end
I tried to run that setup on a ch18 I had and the HD rear clutch was to strong and the clutches did not work together
So your best bet it to buy a comet 780 and the HD clutch and have the crank turned down to a 1" crank
chevydmax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
daddy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help choosing clutches (Drive and Driven) on 1989 Carryall with 22 HP Kohler 1 1/

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydmax6 View Post
U will want to upgrade to the wider belt u will not find many 1" belts plus the wider belt is better for more power

They do have the comet 94c for that crank
And they do make a HD clutch for the club car rear end
I tried to run that setup on a ch18 I had and the HD rear clutch was to strong and the clutches did not work together
So your best bet it to buy a comet 780 and the HD clutch and have the crank turned down to a 1" crank
Thanks.

I'm curious. Where did you get your driven clutch? Was it this one?

I was looking at the version of the 94C (#209739A) that says it is specifically tuned for Kohler, B&S, etc. and then the clutch above. Was that the setup you had?

Also, trying to understand the difference between the 209739A and the 219739A as both contain six 206514A pucks and a 205858A pink spring.

The 219739A says it engages at 1800 RPM. No number on the 209739A but with the same spring and pucks, what else could be different?

Did you attempt to tune anything or did you just use as-is. Can the HD driven be tuned to be weaker?

I'd rather risk a couple hundred bucks than crack the engine open to modify the crank.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Here's a Comet 1195 with a 1-1/8" bore. A little pricey but it's a roller clutch instead of a puck clutch. Much smoother operation then a puck clutch.

http://beltpalace.com/comet302469a.html

Also this web site has a ton of other useful items.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy View Post
Thanks.

I'm curious. Where did you get your driven clutch? Was it this one?

I was looking at the version of the 94C (#209739A) that says it is specifically tuned for Kohler, B&S, etc. and then the clutch above. Was that the setup you had?

Also, trying to understand the difference between the 209739A and the 219739A as both contain six 206514A pucks and a 205858A pink spring.

The 219739A says it engages at 1800 RPM. No number on the 209739A but with the same spring and pucks, what else could be different?

Did you attempt to tune anything or did you just use as-is. Can the HD driven be tuned to be weaker?

I'd rather risk a couple hundred bucks than crack the engine open to modify the crank.
http://www.vegascarts.com/Club-Car-H...-p/invance.htm
Old 05-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
daddy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
Here's a Comet 1195 with a 1-1/8" bore. A little pricey but it's a roller clutch instead of a puck clutch. Much smoother operation then a puck clutch.

http://beltpalace.com/comet302469a.html

Also this web site has a ton of other useful items.
Wow! Pricey for sure. As nice as it sounds, if the 94C will work, I can't justify dropping $400 more on this cart. This is somewhat of a budget build.

Appreciate the link to the driven. I saw on CPP that someone mentioned it requiring a longer bolt; do you know if that's the case and if so, does it come with the part or is it something one needs to acquire themselves?

I'm going to go with the 94C and the INVANCE HD driven and do my best to tune if needed. I saw @1989Marathon mention running a 94C with the HD driven set to the lightest setting. I'm not familiar with, nor do any of the sites allude to any settings. Are you familiar with what he meant, by chance?

Also, I'm not seeing a puller being needed for the stock driven; is that correct?
Old 05-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is the same setup I had u can not buy parts for modify the driven but I did cut the spring down shorter and it was better but then it would not back shift correctly
The spring is around 9" long and I cut it down to around 4.5" if u search for my cc with a kohler command 18 thread u will find a lot of info about what I did or my comet 94c thread
If it was me I would not be buying the 94c I would turn the crank down
Old 05-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have got rid of the kohler motor and 94c and have built a vanguard with a comet 780 with the HD clutch back in stock form and it works vary well
Old 05-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I agree with Chevy - pull the engine down and have the crankshaft cut to one inch. Go with the Comet 780 drive clutch. That would give you the opportunity to clean the crankcase out and see if there's any problems -- pull the governor parts and replace the crank seals.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The 1195 is licensed to certain manufacturers and not for public sale that is why its expensive, you are buying a part for some product.

I would cut the crank to 1" just because you can put any clutch on and likely cheaper to get. I have a 94c and had to do a lot of setup on it now its pretty good but I think a roller would work a little better they shift faster. That said I don't know how adjustable the 780 and 1195 are, I mod my clone motor and need to change shift rpm, the twin people don't seem to care much. I can change the pucks and rpm is changed no problem. Really I rather a roller clutch like the polaris, but this was cheap and info on the polaris is hard to find (info for low rpm like this).

There are two 94c one is smooth cover and one is ribbed, the ribbed not supposed to slip they say and that is what I have. I don't know about slipping on such a low power application, but who knows. Mine was stock for a ezgo its a taper clutch with the pulley.

So the 94c gets the job done, its good when I floor it, its just not as good at low power. So on trails its fine, in the yard its not as good as it could be, but gets around ok. Took me a lot of screwing around to get it like this where its pretty good. I was also coming from the G9 clutch which is like a roller, its weights on links and is very smooth, but again its not adjustable. I drilled the weights and stuff and got a little but could get no more.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!