lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Meangreen79
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2011 Precedent/ Powerdrive 3 question

I’m helping a buddy with his club car. It’s a 2011 Precedent.

He noticed the other day that the charger never turned off and was cooking the 2017 Trojan 8 volts for days. It basically boiled most of the water out of them at constant 15 amps. He added tons of distilled water afterwards and let it sit for 3 days until I showed up to look at it. Pack voltage was 50.3 when I tested. The water in the batteries had a light orangish tint to it. I reset the OBC. When the charger is plugged in it immediately goes to 15 amp, then kicks down, then back to 15. Does this a few times then again a few minutes later, then just carries on at 15 amps. OBC replaced 2 years ago. All wires at charge receptacle are tight. Relay at charger read pack voltage and clicked 5 seconds after being plugged into cart(not plugged into AC). Any ideas guys. I certainly appreciate y’alls help. I’m thinking charger. Trying to find another one to try.
Meangreen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2011 Precedent/ Powerdrive 3 question

The charger gets its marching orders from the OBC. Sounds like a bad OBC - or - maybe someone did an OBC bypass? There are others in this forum far wiser than me so lets see what they say!
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
Meangreen79
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah I think in any event I would like to get the Yewey Extended Float Charger and bypass the OBC. I’m also going to get myself that charger for my RXV. This is the first precedent that I have worked on so I’m hoping someone will confirm which steps I should use to bypass the OBC based off the S/N provided. There seems to be many different methods out there and I’m not sure which is appropriate for this model.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
Meangreen79
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I see the info on Scotty's site now.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
Meangreen79
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

So just to reiterate, the powerdrive would come on instantly on 15amp and never turn off. It cooked for days.
My buddy told me that he actually had to put 5 gallons of distilled water back into the batteries! I saw for myself at least three empty jugs. I have since bypassed the OBC completely and am now using a Yewy smart charger with extended float. The cart runs fine and the charger comes on and charges through the red light cycle and into the flashing green cycle where it seems to remain. The batteries are of course bubbling like mad during this flashing green cycle and discharging brown liquid from the top. The batteries and connections seem very hot and of course the smell is beyond any word that could describe it. I just unplugged it to let it cool and check with you guys. I can check pack voltage and individual voltage tonight after work although I will tell you that the charger was just above 60v on the red light cycle and 52v on the flashing green. The hot batteries, dark discharge and putrid smell were just enough to have my friend concerned. Do you guys think we have a problem or just deeply injured batteries that could be restored? I always appreciate your time and input. Thx, Nick
Old 06-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think you have a bad set of batteries. There is no way he could have put even 3 gal into a set without they were charging with the water well below the plates.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Meangreen79
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

They were definitely charging with the water level below the plates. It emptied them.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meangreen79 View Post
-snip-
Do you guys think we have a problem or just deeply injured batteries that could be restored? I always appreciate your time and input. Thx, Nick
You are doing all the right things, but the problem is after the plates became exposed, they began to heat up drastically to the point they boiled the remaining electrolyte and water out of the cells and then the plates started to deteriorate and basically you had a little melt down going. You can flush them and pour fresh amounts of acid into them, but unfortunately your plates will be damaged to the point they cannot support the exchange process and recharge correctly. Your charger is acting like that because it is getting through the "bulk" charge process but unable to complete the "finishing" or topping off process. And even if it eventually will, you will have virtually no range in the pack to operate with.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I also think you have bad batteries. The batteries are not good enough to reach an on-charge voltage high enough for the OBC to consider them fully charged, therefore it keeps charging and charging. The OBC is supposed to have a feature that times the charger out after 16 hours. Not sure if you left it running for that long or not, but it should eventually turn off. I know you said it "cooked for days". Was this one consistent charge cycle? Or was the cycle ever interrupted by unplugging to cord and restarted? This would start the 16 hour timer all over again
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
Meangreen79
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah it was one consistent cycle while out of town for the weekend. I really appreciate all the great info and help guys. Perhaps the OBC is ok although it’s been carefully bypassed and left in place in case future use is desired. I got him 6 new T875’s and will install tomorrow or Friday. I will let you guys know the outcome with the new batteries. Wouldn’t it be cool if our smart charger vendors had some “smart charger only” or “warning-OBC bypassed” stickers for sale? Just a thought. I worry that in the future a charging mishap could occur if charged at a friends house or country club. You know what I mean? I have a handful of friends that drop their junk off at my house when they break. They would certainly need these stickers lol. Maybe someone does make them, I don’t know
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car