lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
Ahassinger
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2016 G29 Drive Gas Input Shaft Seal

Hello and Im glad I found this site. 1st time Cart owner here. I have had a 2016 G29 Gas Yamaha Drive for about a week and I noticed the Input shaft on the transaxle is leaking leaving spots on the garage floor. I have a few questions.

I cant seem to find a 2016 Service manual, tried buying a 2015 online version but after getting it, it has all the wet brake stuff in it. I have drum brakes(that needed to be adjusted) so I think I don't have the wet brakes. Can someone please confirm?

I noticed the leaking input shaft seal after changing the drive belt. Not immediately but after 3-4 days. Honestly don't think the old belt was that bad but im wondering if the new belt is related. The guy I bought the cart from wholesale provided me with a dealer tuneup kit that had the 2 belts, air filters, spark plug, fuel filter, yamalube rear diff fluid, and yamaha engine oil. All in Yamaha packaging so I assume they were for my cart.

I've read that some clutches need a special puller. Do I need this to change this Transaxle input seal? From the posts I cant tell if its the same as what I have maybe due to my confusion on the wet vs drum brake thing I mentioned earlier.

I used to be an auto mechanic in my youth but I still work with my hands so looking forward to putting this leak behind me. Any advice on changing this seal is appreciated!
Ahassinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2016 G29 Drive Gas Input Shaft Seal

I dont think the belt has anything to do with the seal. But, what belt did you get. I hope it's a Yamaha OEM belt at minimum, or one of the highest quality "high performance upgrade" belts. I have never seen an aftermarket "stock style replacement" that was as good as a yamaha belt. Your rear clutch doesn't require a special tool to "pop it off", but if I recall, it hits the frame when you try to slide it off. If that happens, you will have to loosen the axle mounting bolts to raise the left side up.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
Ahassinger
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The belt I got is a J55-G6241-02 and it says Yamaha genuine.

You are correct. I had to raise the left side of the axle up and the clutch came right off. Do I need to replace the seal from the inside or outside? Do I need to change any bearings while I’m at it? There is some very minor play in the shaft left to right( driver side to pass side)

Thank you for the quick reply!
Old 02-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
Ahassinger
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well I think I might have just let the smoke out of her now. I separated the side plate hoping all the jiblets would stay inside. She doesn’t want to slide back in. Never got it all the way off.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Axle comes out.... there are spacer shims that are likely sitting in the bottom. Keep your eyes peeled for a spring & steel ball too...
Old 02-27-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
Ahassinger
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

When you say axle do you mean the whole rear end or just the axle shaft? I heard the spring and ball bearing hit the catch pan. The dealer got me the seal 93102-25868 and gave me a diagram. But can’t get a service manual.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

The manual for gas G16 or G22 will cover your axle, same axle. The clutches are a little different tho. Not a problem for you, because your clutch just slides on.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Ahassinger
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Got her back together. Pulled the whole transaxle out. The kick in the pants is I could have changed the input seal without even opening the case. Changed the case seal also. Live and learn. Thank you for the help!
Old 04-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
tanner1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahassinger View Post
Got her back together. Pulled the whole transaxle out. The kick in the pants is I could have changed the input seal without even opening the case. Changed the case seal also. Live and learn. Thank you for the help!
I have a 2015 drive fleet with a leaking input shaft seal. So after i have the secondary clutch off, according to what you've said here, i can remove the seal without pulling off the transaxle cover?
tanner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #10
Ahassinger
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I must not have notifications turned on so sorry for the delay. That is the case on my 2016. I should have just used a bent pick to pull the old seal off.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha