lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
clubcar93
Not Yet Wild

Default clubcar possible voltage regulater problem??

I have a problem with my 93 clubcar.. im thinking it might be the voltage regulator and would like to ask some of you smart guys on here..

The clubcar drives fine but when i stop and then try to drive again it doesn't want to start at all. I get a battery charger and plug it up for a couple seconds and then it starts and drives. I know its not the battery because its new. It used to happen once in a while but now its almost every time. Could it be the voltage regulator? or some other issue?

thanks for any help.
clubcar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: clubcar possible voltage regulater problem??

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubcar93 View Post
I have a problem with my 93 clubcar.. im thinking it might be the voltage regulator and would like to ask some of you smart guys on here..

The clubcar drives fine but when i stop and then try to drive again it doesn't want to start at all. I get a battery charger and plug it up for a couple seconds and then it starts and drives. I know its not the battery because its new. It used to happen once in a while but now its almost every time. Could it be the voltage regulator? or some other issue?

thanks for any help.
I imagine you are using a booster pack to start the cart ? The fact that it runs once started points away from the starter / generator being at fault since that unit is supplying the necessary voltage that the cart needs to operate. 1st off you need to check that you have sufficient power at the battery under running conditions. To that end, put the cart in maintenance mode and connect a test meter across the battery. You should be seeing approx 12.5 - 13.5 volts while not running. Now, start the cart and rev her up, the voltage should increase to around to 14.5 This will give you an idea as to what is happening. Also, make sure all the ground wires are nice and clean, you wouldn't be the first to fall foul of a corroded wire in the system.
Hope that helps you get started and please let us know what you find.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
clubcar93
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
I imagine you are using a booster pack to start the cart ? The fact that it runs once started points away from the starter / generator being at fault since that unit is supplying the necessary voltage that the cart needs to operate. 1st off you need to check that you have sufficient power at the battery under running conditions. To that end, put the cart in maintenance mode and connect a test meter across the battery. You should be seeing approx 12.5 - 13.5 volts while not running. Now, start the cart and rev her up, the voltage should increase to around to 14.5 This will give you an idea as to what is happening. Also, make sure all the ground wires are nice and clean, you wouldn't be the first to fall foul of a corroded wire in the system.
Hope that helps you get started and please let us know what you find.

Chris.
I'm using a regular battery charger i just touch the battery with it and it works. I know its not the battery because i tried one from a working golf cart and same result. All the ground wires are good. I'm thinking its the voltage regulator not getting the right signal or something.. I never had this problem. i would swap parts from the other cart but its not mine..
Old 06-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I'm using a regular battery charger i just touch the battery with it and it works. I know its not the battery because i tried one from a working golf cart and same result. All the ground wires are good. I'm thinking its the voltage regulator not getting the right signal or something.. I never had this problem. i would swap parts from the other cart but its not mine..
How long does it run once started ? Does it die while driving or just nor restart when you stop ? Check that the wires into the battery terminals are good. I've had that happen to me a couple of times whereby corrosion in the crimp causes a poor connection and the voltage doesn't get back to the battery properly.
Do those simple tests I posted before you go crazy lol.

Chris.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
clubcar93
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
How long does it run once started ? Does it die while driving or just nor restart when you stop ? Check that the wires into the battery terminals are good. I've had that happen to me a couple of times whereby corrosion in the crimp causes a poor connection and the voltage doesn't get back to the battery properly.
Do those simple tests I posted before you go crazy lol.

Chris.
It doesnt want to restart, it runs until i stop. I always check the connections and lube everything but i will double check it. :)
Old 06-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
clubcar93
Not Yet Wild

checked all wires and still same problem
Old 06-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
clubcar93
Not Yet Wild

Figured out the problem, it was the solenoid. I tested it with my dad, the magnetic contacts weren't working properly inside. Took it apart and the contacts were all worn out. Ordered a new one.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Figured out the problem, it was the solenoid. I tested it with my dad, the magnetic contacts weren't working properly inside. Took it apart and the contacts were all worn out. Ordered a new one.

OK You successfully disassembled a solenoid ? Post pictures please

Chris
Old 06-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
Heritagerooster
Not Yet Wild

Hello all. Sorry to jump in cant seem to find a way to send a personal message. I am restoring an 82 gas harley 3 wheeler and need a part from user Invalidsession. Hey invalid by any chance do you still have the secondary clutch you had for sale in the past?
Heritagerooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

rooster welcome, if you click on chrises name here on the left side a drop down box will appear with a short list just click send private msg.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car