lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Swampa
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 EZ GO power surge question

I took my new to me cart out this past weekend turkey hunting. I noticed when driving in the dark with the lights on that my engine would lose power periodically. Everytime this happened, the lights would shine brighter. It would do this for 30 seconds or so, then the lights would dim and the cart would regain full power. Whats going on with my hunting ride. I want to get this fixed because I go up and down a lot of hills in west texas and it became a pain after awhile.
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Swampa
Not Yet Wild

Ttt
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 EZ GO power surge question

It is always hard to make a diagnosis by remote control but it's Saturday and I have just done in a bottle of Merlot so I am feeling quite smart.

Here is my hypothesis ; The regulator is failing intermittently and driving the generator to its maximum output of 18 volts. This is overloading the ignitor causing the cart to stall out. The lower revs then reset the regulator and you start all over again.

To test this theory hook a voltmeter to the battery and go for a drive. You should see ~16 volts constantly whilst driving. If you do see the output lurch up to 18 volts, it may not be the regulator. The most likely issue is a ground problem so clean all the ground wires and connections including the little black wires that ground out the plate that the ignitor and the regulator are mounted to.

Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
It is always hard to make a diagnosis by remote control but it's Saturday and I have just done in a bottle of Merlot so I am feeling quite smart.

Here is my hypothesis ; The regulator is failing intermittently and driving the generator to its maximum output of 18 volts. This is overloading the ignitor causing the cart to stall out. The lower revs then reset the regulator and you start all over again.

To test this theory hook a voltmeter to the battery and go for a drive. You should see ~16 volts constantly whilst driving. If you do see the output lurch up to 18 volts, it may not be the regulator. The most likely issue is a ground problem so clean all the ground wires and connections including the little black wires that ground out the plate that the ignitor and the regulator are mounted to.

Good luck
Dave
WOW sure would hate to see him after two of those bottles. He's a pretty smart thinker on one!
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Swampa
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post

Good luck
Dave

Thanks Dave will do. Im brand new to golf carts, is the regulator the alternator? Im trying to understand where these are located to check the grounds.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
capri man
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i like like way you operate dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
capri man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Swampa
Not Yet Wild

Ttt,

Dave I sent you a pm.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Coby,
Got the pm and replied. The regulator is mounted on the firewall on the driver's side. There should a red, green and black wire. The green goes to the generator and is the one I refer to in the pm.

Good luck
Dave

Last edited by Dave Box; 03-29-2012 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: .
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO