lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
DonoBBD
Not Yet Wild

Default Clutch work?

Is it worth pulling the spider when I have the clutch off to close up the belt to sheave in the primary clutch on the carts?

With a sled we try our best to get .020 belt to sheave with a new belt for a nice smooth take off. Is the extra space needed for offset in these carts. It seems there is no adjustment for offset.

Cheers Don.
DonoBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
DonoBBD
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Clutch work?

No big clutch guys on here?

I find with sleds that when you close up the space at rest between the clutch movable sheave and the belt at rest you start to grab the belt sooner in the fly of the weights. This will give you more up shift because your starting to move the secondary sooner like a low gear.

Cheers Don.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
ff92
Not Yet Wild

Greetings Don.
I asked the same question here awhile back and was told that even though the clutches and principles are the same, there is no adjustment for belt to sheave on these clutches. No ABC clutch bolt for these I guess. I was quite concerned with the amount of slop in my EZ GO belt.

P.S. I think I recognize your name from a sled forum, you got a 3-4' dump of snow in a weekend last year or year before if I remember correctly?
ff92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
DonoBBD
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff92 View Post
Greetings Don.
I asked the same question here awhile back and was told that even though the clutches and principles are the same, there is no adjustment for belt to sheave on these clutches. No ABC clutch bolt for these I guess. I was quite concerned with the amount of slop in my EZ GO belt.

P.S. I think I recognize your name from a sled forum, you got a 3-4' dump of snow in a weekend last year or year before if I remember correctly?
Yep bro that is me.

Man pulled this clutch off what a yard sale! This this is warn right the he!! out. All three rollers are shot, the inner bushing of movable sheave is toast the cover bushing is shot. Sheaves are grooved out. Just a mess.

There is no shims under the spider at all. If I can get a roller kit for the spider I might pull this apart and mess with it as a second clutch. I would mill about .125" off the main shaft so I can move the movable in and tighten up the belt to sheave. This would add much more low gear and move top end to the shift of the weights. Makes me sick every time I see huge belt to sheave..... waste of performance every time. Interesting how these clutches have a ton of tip weight. Same thing I have seen the Arctic cats respond very well to.

I need a new comet clutch for this ride. Anyone know the taper for the 88?

Cheers Don.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
ff92
Not Yet Wild

Yard sale, tell me about it. This is what I stepped in when I bought my 2000 TXT. I wondered why the cart engaged so abruptly, cause it wasn't fully disengaging!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
ff92
Not Yet Wild

I've since put two new clutches on it from golfcartking I believe, half the cost of GC Duke here in ON. Cart runs like a dream now, but like you said, it'd be nice to address the belt to sheave issue. I remember reading your posts about this issue on the sled forum and realizing that it's critical for performance. I ended up buying the ABC bolt for my M8, feels much better.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
DonoBBD
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I've since put two new clutches on it from golfcartking I believe, half the cost of GC Duke here in ON. Cart runs like a dream now, but like you said, it'd be nice to address the belt to sheave issue. I remember reading your posts about this issue on the sled forum and realizing that it's critical for performance. I ended up buying the ABC bolt for my M8, feels much better.
The ABC clutch bolt will close up your belt to sheave and give you a nice smooth take off. Great for the deep snow and side hilling but you increase your roller to weight distance by the amount you close your belt to sheave. The true fix is to cut the spider shim correct and you will gain low end and top end to your shift. I like to see 20/20....... 20 thou belt to sheave and 20 thou roller to weight at rest. Seems to be magic.

WOW dude that secondary must have smoked a rock or something Eh? I think I am in for a new primary. I have the secondary all cleaned up with a ACat red secondary spring and 1/4 turn. Great back shift but not to much.

Cheers Don.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
ff92
Not Yet Wild

What are the compression numbers on a stock EZGO spring versus the Cat spring, they seem a little on the weaker side.

My secondary was so packed full of mud and corrosion I couldn't get it apart. Ran it till it seized up, I already had the new one to put on, destroyed it in the process of disassembly. Previous owner must have had a lot of fun in the mud, took me hours to clean every nook and cranny of mud and grass.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
DonoBBD
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
What are the compression numbers on a stock EZGO spring versus the Cat spring, they seem a little on the weaker side.

My secondary was so packed full of mud and corrosion I couldn't get it apart. Ran it till it seized up, I already had the new one to put on, destroyed it in the process of disassembly. Previous owner must have had a lot of fun in the mud, took me hours to clean every nook and cranny of mud and grass.
You know I don't know. I just grabbed the lightest spring I had on the shelf and dropped it in. I was one that was used in the old RKT torsion conversion.

Do you remember Erlandson? They did allot of sled clutching. They sell a clutch kit for these carts. I picked up the 30#-80# primary spring to go with the cat red secondary spring. Should work quite well.

http://www.erlandsontechnology.com/D...rt_p/dsez2.htm

After I fix this yard sale of a primary. There is three roll pins that you have to punch into the center of the spider to be able to turn the spider off. Reverse threads and she spins right off. I guess these pins are why there is no spider shims or adjustment as well as coarse threads. Going to mill the belt to sheave then red lock tight the spider back on. IF I can find rollers an pins for the spider. They are all shot and the inner and outer bushing for the movable sheave is toast too.

Have to touch up the weights nothing to big of a deal. Just weld in some notches warn into the tip then grind off smooth again.

I will post a picture of the how warn the parts are in here later tonight if I get a second.

Cheers Don.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

A quick question, does your drive start to close at very low rpm?
My Yamaha starts to close at starting rpm and the belt clearance
seems engineered in to allow the engine to fire before loading it.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spider shim?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO