lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
justlakinit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 87 Marathon Project

This is my first cart and it is a project.
Bought is super cheap so was not to concerned about looking it over when I purchased it, but when I got it home, I found a few more problems that was I was told by the seller...imagine that...LOL

First of all the motor is locked up...in the process of trying to free it up now.

My question is that I am apparently not getting a connection to the starter / generator as it does not even try to engage. I understand these run in both directions, but all the wires has me confused on how to check to see if I am getting power to the started.

Any help advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
justlakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: 87 Marathon Project

If she is locked up you will probably have to do a rebuild with long block. Probably starved oil/fuel mix and seized up. That would also damage crank bearings, rod and rist pin bearings. Starter may be not turning a locked engine also if belt is tight but then may be bad. Check on line for a manual PDF file. A manual will give you all wiring diagrams as well as all service and rebuild info. If you rebuild or dismantle anything, take pics with your camera or phone for referance when you re-assemble.
Not much you can not buy for these things.
I purchased a none running 91 ezgo gaser for $500 and am at now over $1700 total. New long block, drive clutch, rebuilt driven clutch and lifted it with jakes lift 4" to handle 22" tires. Of course all new belts and such. Even with all that exspense my cart is valued at around $2500+ as is now.
I also know what I have.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
justlakinit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Took the motor out yesterday. Hope to pull the jug off this evening or tomorrow. I am a little concerned about why it is locked up. I put penetrating oil in the cylinder and it is still there....never even soaked down. Looked in the exhaust port and the piston looked good.
But my main concern is trying to figure out the wiring. Not familiar at all with the wiring in this thing. When I hit the pedal...it does not even try to turn over....nothing at all. All connections look good....just not sure what all the wiring connections are supposed to be and what they do.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
redcloud
Gone Wild

Send me a private message and I will send you a PDF file of the manual that I have. It shpoould cover your unit as it deals with even three wheeled units.
Just include your home email.
If you do not hear a click you are either not getting voltage to the limit switch or switch is bad. Testing the switch for voltage is easy with a tester.
Should hear a click after the peddle travels 1/2".
Steve
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
justlakinit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah not hearing anything at all...so power is not getting to where it is supposed to be. I tried doing some voltage testing, but was not really sure how all that wiring worked as it is completely different than other stuff I have worked on.
I'll send you PM...
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
koolkar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlakinit View Post
Yeah not hearing anything at all...so power is not getting to where it is supposed to be. I tried doing some voltage testing, but was not really sure how all that wiring worked as it is completely different than other stuff I have worked on.
I'll send you PM...
Thanks for the help.
YAKNOW........... i'm taking one apart.........
koolkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
justlakinit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

redcloud...never heard back from you? Did you get my PM?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO