lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
T11ravis
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Charging in run mode

So I did a quick search and found a couple old threads that were somewhat related but figured I'd ask anyway:
I've had my G29 for 5 days and just realized tonight that I'm supposed to charge it in tow mode.
What possible damage can occur besides frying the controller?
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging in run mode

I don't know anyone that puts their carts in tow prior to charging. The owners manual is being ultra conservative.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I always charge mine in Run mode.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

If you live in an area that has alot of lightning strikes......charge in tow mode. Had uncommon lightning (in our area) last year and took out 3 controllers because it hit the power line.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

There is a disadvantage to charging in tow mode that hasn't/probably wont be addressed by yamaha. If you have an energy meter from the factory, or have added one to the factory plug in the dash for an energy meter, it will be reset when the tow switch is turned off Regardless of wether the batteries were fully charged or not.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
sunking
Gone Wild

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but run/tow switch turns on/off power to the controller. If in run the controller is turned on and and using power. That is considered a parasitic or vampire load drawing power that need not be.

Now if you drive and charge the cart every day no big deal. But if your cart sets a few days, then you have a problem unless you have charger that has FLOAT capability. But even in Float you are paying for the power that is not doing anything except collecting dust.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

So far I have always charged mine in the tow mode. I believe in the tow mode if you have an energy surge for any reason it won't hurt the controller.

Not sure about the parasitic load from the controller when in the run mode. When you have it in the run mode you can hear the click from the controller. You can also hear it click if the key switch is on and you are sitting for a bit. I would assume there is some voltage draw.
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

On my cart, the draw is minimal when the key is off. I never bother with Tow mode except when I wash it. I am sure that it's safer to leave it in Tow mode when not using it though.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2504 View Post
So far I have always charged mine in the tow mode. I believe in the tow mode if you have an energy surge for any reason it won't hurt the controller.

Not sure about the parasitic load from the controller when in the run mode. When you have it in the run mode you can hear the click from the controller
What you are describing is a Parasitic Load. I do not doubt your belief; "possible damage could occur to controller if left in Run Mode while charging" That can only mean the Controller is Powered ON, and thus drawing current/power.

The Parasitic load is small but adds up real quick over days and weeks. So if your charger turns off after charging, and several days or weeks pass before you ride again; might get caught short and have to limp home. If your chargers Floats, then no problem.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #10
reinman88
Gone Wild

I'm not going to claim this is 100% accurate, but since I've gotten my cart last May, I've been caught short on power twice. The first time may be partially my fault for not understanding the lights and cutting my charge early each time. I stopped when the green light was flashing instead of waiting for it to go solid green. But the second time would have nothing to do with this.

What is common on both times is charging the cart and not using it or over 4 or 5 days only driving it maybe 1/4 mile. Then making a 2 mile run with a big hill to climb near the end. The hill is what got me both times.

Like I said I'm not claiming the controller is using a lot of power while it's sitting between charges. But to play it safe I will not be making any 2 mile runs unless the cart was charged up over night.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha