lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: New BB Engine Dilema

The new honda twin is far different the cylinder/head are integrated. Its a great engine but I doubt there will ever be any mods for it. The vanguard you can do a lot with and is supported for racing use, the kaw and kohler are to a lesser extent. The HF twin is much cheaper and fairly new there is also a lifan twin reasonable. The HF has a place making parts now there are some utube videos of them. You can always spend the $300 or so for HS gears with a stock twin and get 10mph or so because the perf parts are not free either. A twin will pull HS gears like nothing I'm sure my modded 420 would but it hit 41mph already which I don't need to do really lol due to high rpm. If I built a cart right now if I could get a rev kit for the 670 I'd use that. If I had more toy funding I'd get a vanny but you have to buy parts for those too although the rev kit is not much the go-fast parts are not cheap. People like clone singles because they are so cheap and parts are not bad to build them up, VC460 is best deal around, but no its not a twin.

A better clutch will certainly help, stock clutches can work fine for 420 swaps but only it they are not worn out to start with, though my experience is with Yamaha 1 3/16 belt clutches.

If your block is not cracked just a hole then get it TIG welded shut. We did that plenty of times with gokart engines. If you can fix/replace the crank/rod toss rings in and go.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #12
nrochwal
Not Yet Wild

Pulled the trigger on the CPP Briggs and comet 780 yesterday. Figured I’m probably only going to do this once and plan on having the cart for a while (3 boys will get some use out of it) so might as well do it right.
nrochwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #13
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrochwal View Post
Pulled the trigger on the CPP Briggs and comet 780 yesterday. Figured I’m probably only going to do this once and plan on having the cart for a while (3 boys will get some use out of it) so might as well do it right.
Your going to love it
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #14
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Your going to love it
Nice 👍! We need pictures . . . !
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #15
nrochwal
Not Yet Wild

I will post some pictures as it goes together. I am thinking about what I want to do for the exhaust set up, it had an automotive muffler on it that looked slapped together. I am thinking about trying to utilize an ATV type muffler similar to some of the Polaris 700 quads. Anybody ever done something like this? I want to find a stock muffler or something that is going to keep it quiet as possible for cruising the neighborhood.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:06 PM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yes, I used a muffler off of a Yamaha Raptor 660. Sounded great! Thinking of going back to it to be honest with you. Especially since the sand dunes requires a spark arrestor to ride in the dunes. I guess they are worried about someone catching the sand on fire? Anyway, the cart sounded like a stock quad. Not too annoying at all. I don't like my cart to sound like an open pipe Harley, nothing against Harley's, but it's not my thing. Too loud.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:30 PM   #17
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Here’s what currently lives in an EZGO TXT with an HF 670, Walker 22229 , I think. Not as quiet as my stock G2 , but not bad! Not much to look at, but it’s a workin’ cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D8F64567-886A-4300-8728-CF8BD7712108.jpg (170.9 KB, 0 views)
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #18
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The CPP vanny is a great package you made a good choice. The muffler I used is a quiet flow walker its in my build thread. The problem is the cradle moves and you can't put the muffler on the frame then usually, I used a coupler on the engine that rotates its for gokarts, but for a twin not sure how that would be done. You can probably use a stock muffler for a lawn or tractor that is over your HP. There are muffler threads here discussing many different setups. Don't use a small muffler it will kill power, one for less hp than you have, or can cause it to run hot. Mine sounds like a lawnmower sort of but different, its not cart quiet but quieter than an atv. Also I have no tailpipe with car mufflers that would make it quieter having one.

Also someone ebay a used rice rocket muffler that worked well, people sell them when they get aftermarket.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #19
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark138 View Post
Here’s what currently lives in an EZGO TXT with an HF 670, Walker 22229 , I think. Not as quiet as my stock G2 , but not bad! Not much to look at, but it’s a workin’ cart.
how does this sound? possibly video clip? and how does the seat hold up with the heat? my stock seat is deforming i'll be doing the seats soon and im going to redo the seat bottom with starboard and line it with dynamat for the heat. im thinking about pulling the body off too and lining the entire backside of the body with 1" or 2" foam to keep the noise down
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #20
nrochwal
Not Yet Wild

Update, the engine and clutch came in last week and I opened it up to find out that a 18hp vanguard was sent instead of the 23... Talked CPP and they were cool about it, instead of shipping it back and waiting several more weeks to get the correct engine I agreed to get an exhaust kit mailed to me so I didn't have to cut and modify my old Honda exhaust like I was planning. Going to mount it up for test rides and shake down and see how loud it is prior to messing with a different muffler set up. Kind of was going along the lines of an old RZR 800 muffler or old street bike muffler with my thought process originally.

Got the engine put in over the weekend after an initial install, some alignment issues and a quick trip to the hardware store for some different nuts, bolts, washers ect. Now the engine is back in lined up and ready to extend the harness and connect the linkage. Image below is initial install prior to me pulling out and adjusting the clutch for alignment.

Question for you guys on the throttle linkage, does anyone have some pictures of how they hooked up the linkage that works well? How about the choke? I'g going to need a longer cable for the choke as the linkage for that is on the back of the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-5923.jpg (132.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0307.jpg (219.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!