lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2020, 12:18 AM   #21
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Wire Guage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
What would happen if the factory 6awg negative stayed as is (going through the OBC) and all of the other wires were upgraded to 4awg?
IMHO, not a huge amount. There would obviously be a bottleneck there but no more than having the stud through the OBC. The only way to really overcome that is to bypass the OBC and run the 4 gauge straight from the battery to the controller.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2020, 06:19 AM   #22
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As long as the cable lugs and the end of the 6ga cable near the lugs are not corroded or crunchy, You will not notice any difference at all.

The only instance that it could affect performance is during very high current demand and that only happens at slow speed when the motor does not benefit from the full pack voltage anyway.

That length of 6ga cable will not limit your current.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #23
Fastest h-town realtor
Not Yet Wild

I doubled up (used 2) of the 4 gauge to connect each of the batteries.
Fastest h-town realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:23 PM   #24
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastest h-town realtor View Post
I doubled up (used 2) of the 4 gauge to connect each of the batteries.
I will be interested to see if Sergio or another electronics experts chime in about that. Is doubling one gauge cable as good as a single larger gauge cable in a DC system?

This calculator https://www.wirebarn.com/Combined-Wi...tor_ep_42.html suggests that it is but does note that "It is not advisable to run important/critical current wires using multiple wires, due to the possibility that one or more wires could become disconnected or degraded due to corrosion, etc and the remaining wire(s) would have to bear the load without the extra help of the now defunct adjacent wires."

Not quite relevant here but my understanding is that current travels through a cable in a DC system differently than it does through an AC system. In a DC system it uses the whole cable whereas an AC system only runs in the surface layer of the cables. It is an interesting topic.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #25
Fastest h-town realtor
Not Yet Wild

Between the monthly adding of water/ visual inspection to the batteries and connections, and, the fact doubling of wires is equatable to the larger wire, less a bit of resistance, I see no issue in my set up for a DC operation.
Fastest h-town realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car