lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
hummerbear
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New Batteries, New Motor = Loss of Speed?

I have a 05 Ezgo St Sport 2+2 36V Series cart, that I have just replaced the original Trojan T-105's with 6 new Crown CR-235's, I also upgraded my stock motor with the Plum Quick Bandit upgrade and 2ga welding cables to replace all the stock 6ga cable in the cart. the controller, f/r switch and solenoid are stock. I have been following Scottyb's battery break in instructions and I am on my 7th discharge/charge cycle. The batteries voltage is right on @ 38.3V charged 6.36v to 6.37 individually. I understand that the batteries have not reached their full potential yet, but my question to those who have broken in new batteries before how much more speed was gained after the batteries broke in? With all the upgrades done, I'm averaging 13 to 13.5 mph right now, with the Bandit upgrade I' was hoping for at least 18mph. The cart is running on 23x10x12 tires. Is a 4.5 to 5 mph gain realistic or do I need to look for another problem? Thanks,
hummerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: New Batteries, New Motor = Loss of Speed?

No way you will gain 4 mph by just breaking in the batteries. Push the cart by hand and see if it rolls freely.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
golfcart2
Not Yet Wild

If you upgrade to a bigger motor and bigger cables usually you are going to have to upgrade your controller as well. You will get a lot more speed out of the cart with a beefed up controller!
golfcart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
hummerbear
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks to bowslayer and golfcart2 for your response, I will have to a way to check the brakes but the cart seems to roll just fine. I think I'll try to raise the tire pressure a little, the swamp fox tires I'm running call for 7psi, I'll try bumping that up a bit. As far as the controller, I planned to get a 500A controller in the future as my budget allows. But what bothers me the most is that I have not seen any real gain for the money I've spent on the motor, I'm running at stock speed before the upgrades (i.e motor & cables). It not like I'm looking for a tremendous gain, just 4mph over the stock 14mphs. which I was told would be attainable even with my stock setup and the current upgrades. Others have posted great gains in speed with similar setups to mine, and I know not every cart is the same and there is other variables to consider with equipment. I'm just at a loss why their is no gain.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Mathematically, going from an 18" tire height to a 23" tire height will increase your original speed of about 14MPH to about 18MPH.
However, you will also reduce torque by a similar percentage, about 28%.

On a long, level, hard surface, you might approach 18MPH with your stock solenoid, F/R switch and controller if you accelerated gradually so the pack voltage isn't depressed by the high current draw during rapid acceleration.

Also, the used stock solenoid and F/R switch contacts are very likely to be less than optimal and have some resistance that is dropping the voltage made available at the controller, and then the controller itself will only allow your high performance motor to draw about 250A.

Attaching a DVM across the Solenoid contacts (big terminals) and monitoring while driving will tell you how much voltage you are losing there.
You can check voltage drop across the F/R contacts by attaching DVM between terminal A and C.
Any voltage at all dropped across either set of contacts is limiting your top speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
hummerbear
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, Thank you so much for the info. I will have to check those values when I run the cart later to cycle the batteries.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
hummerbear
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, I just ran the cart on its battery break in discharge/charge cycle. I increased the tire pressure from 7psi to 11psi and I gained a little over 2mph. I think that 7psi is for atv's that are running @ 50mph, not a electric cart going less than 20mph. I curious what psi some of you with larger tires are running. I also checked the voltage between the solenoid and the battery pack under load and the voltages were the same.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

On my G2 cart with 24" tires I run them at 20 psi. That's where it seems to ride and handle the best. Carts are heavier so they need more air.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with extreme. Try air pressure in the 18-22 psi range. The pressure you decide on will be a compromise for speed and ride. As air pressure increases the cart will generally go faster but after a point the returns are diminished. You may see a noticeable speed increase as you go from 10-20 psi but nothing from 20-30 psi. Along with a little speed increase you may also see a measurable increase in range per charge also. This has been my experience.

Your mileage may vary.

I think the experts here will tell you the PlumQuick motor is being choked by the stock speed control. It wants to suck the amps which it will turn into torque to turn those big tires and reward you with the speed you are expecting.

I would keep an eye on your F/R switch for heat. This is also a bottleneck. Just replacing the cam with a heavy duty one may be all you need. This is a simple, fast install. I got mine from here: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.html
Otherwise overheating over time will burn the contacts, probably stranding you somewhere and will the require the replacement of the entire switch at twice the cost and a significantly more involved repair.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
hummerbear
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks to JcXtreme72 and Kernal for the information, I going to raise my tire pressure to 20psi and see how that works for me. And thank you for the info on the f/r switch. The heavy duty cam is definitely on my list as well, Its a shame because I ordered a digital battery meter from carts unlimited a couple days ago, looks like I will be placing another order soon. A 500 amp controller and HD solenoid was on my list as well, but the new batteries which were long overdue really killed my budget. A little at a time I guess.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO