lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
davidgenes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 04 EZGO TXT - 6 volt batteries finally dead! 48 volt, here we come!

Well, the original batteries in my 2004 EzGo TXT finally gave up. They were struggling at the end of last year and didn't make it thru the winter.

----------------
thanks for all your tips on how to accelerate the demise of these batteries - and for the record -- I didn't use any of your suggestions!
Reference thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-results.html
----------------

Which means - I finally get to upgrade to 48v!

My plan is to replace the 6 x 6v batteries with 6 x 8v Trojan batteries. I already have 4ga wires everywhere and an upgraded EMP motor.

It has been a few years since I have read about this - can someone give me a breakdown of what all needs to be replaced? Where to buy?

I have another EzGo RXV that we use for our normal day-to-day cruising, and I want this one to be "wicked"!

F/R switch, solenoid, controller, charger, ???

If the correct answer to this question is "Call scottyb and he will hook you up with what you need" - just let me know.

Thanks!
David
davidgenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 04 EZGO TXT - 6 volt batteries finally dead! 48 volt, here we come!

Did you say if this was a PDS or a series drive system?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Well David.....you already know what to do.....as you have stated as such and it IS what you should do.....SCOTTY IS THE MAN!!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
davidgenes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Well David.....you already know what to do.....as you have stated as such and it IS what you should do.....SCOTTY IS THE MAN!!!
I kind of figured that was the thing to do, but I was (perhaps not rightfully) excited about my batteries dieing and I thought "who would appreciate my excitement over spending crap loads of money more than the kind folks at BGW?"...

So I just had to make the post!

Thanks for listening - and scottyb, u can be expecting my call! :)

-David
Old 05-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
davidgenes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Did you say if this was a PDS or a series drive system?
It is a series...

Stock everything except upgraded (4ga) wiring and EMP motor rebuild. It (when batteries were fairly strong) did some getting & going, but I would like to see it blow by my RXV.. It is completely stock looking - white, roof, stock tires and rims and I intend to keep it that way.. I like to "surprise" people with there fancy looking, big tired carts with a stock looking cart that MOVES!

If you think the 6 x 8v batteries isn't the way to go, I am open to suggestions on anything - now (before buying the wrong thing) is the time to do it right!

-David
Old 06-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgenes View Post
I like to "surprise" people with there fancy looking, big tired carts with a stock looking cart that MOVES!

If you think the 6 x 8v batteries isn't the way to go, I am open to suggestions on anything - now (before buying the wrong thing) is the time to do it right!
Hopefully, my PDS cart will have that subtle attribute.

With a series wound motor, Voltage = Speed, so you might consider tossing a seventh 8V battery under the seat for 56V, or 6 x 12V for 72V. (or 7X12V for 84V)
Of course, finding a charger might be difficult.

Also, changing the stock (12.44:1) differential gears to 8:1 or 6:1 will up the speed without altering outward appearance.

You gotta think outside the box when building a sleeper.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My sleeper has 8 T-105s, which wasn't easy, but was worth it. I have stock tires and no one in my 'hood can touch me, even gassers. I bought a HS motor, and everything in my sig.

Here's some of my build:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-question.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #8
Springlake
I Believe !!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgenes View Post
It is completely stock looking - white, roof, stock tires and rims and I intend to keep it that way.. -David
No way I could sway you to go Big tires and camo??LOL
Springlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
B.Roussel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I went 48v with my 05 TXT. I upgraded to 4awg cables, however I am waiting on my 2awg cables that I ordered to come in. I have 6 8v US batteries. Plum Quick assassin motor, FSIP 700amp controller and HD EV Drives solenoid. I currently have the stock F/R switch but have way bigger copper buss bar to install on the switch. And I have 14" rims with lo pro tires. I don't know much about the motor you are running but you might want to think about going to 2awg cables because my 4awg get kinda hot after a long ride. I haven't really had a problem with my F/R switch yet(knock on wood). Just thought I'd give you some info about my upgrades when I went to 48v. Good luck with the build. You will enjoy it.
B.Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you decide to go with 8 6 volt batteries, one is really easy to fit under the seat. The eighth is a pain, but could easily be installed in the bag-well.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36v, 48v, conversion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO