lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Did I Commit a Deadly Sin?

Deadly for my batteries???

I enjoy learning, but I prefer to learn not from my mistakes - but I'm learning a lot that way when it comes to carts.

I bought my second used cart EZGO TXT. It had some issues but the batteries were less than 2 years old (Interstates). While working on some of those issues over a month or so, I never got around to checking the water level in the batteries - until the cart started running sluggishly - even after a charge.

Well, you can guess where I am going with this. But it gets worse. One of those issues was the charger. It would not turn off automatically. I was so proud I fixed it when discovering the relay had been bypassed. And after fixing, it would charge and run great.

Long story short - I finally got around to checking the levels - bone dry. Have I destroyed them? Or did the guy before me destroy them. What does charging dry batteries with a charger that doesn't turn off do to them?

For 6 x 6v batteries, I added almost 1 1/2 gallons of water. I'm charging now, but what should I expect?

And I also might ask, what are some of the things you check for when buying a used cart? If you don't have an expensive load tester, how do you (or do you) check out the batteries? Any other tips?

My first used cart got junked, and it was only 4 years old. The chassis was rusted beyond repair. I learned from that mistake. And now this. If I had just checked the levels in the batteries, I would have noticed how dry they were. But should this have cancelled the purchase - seeing that they were so new (20 months)?
konakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Did I Commit a Deadly Sin?

See what happens and hope for the best. It's hard to tell how much damage was done until you recharge them after filling. Make sure not to overfill - the level goes up when you charge them!!!!!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I had a customer once tell me that he never put water in the car battery so why should he have to put water in the cart batteries. He ruined a new set of batteries in 18 months.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
See what happens and hope for the best. It's hard to tell how much damage was done until you recharge them after filling. Make sure not to overfill - the level goes up when you charge them!!!!!
I was careful not to overfill, and understand when to test and fill. I just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

But how will I know their true status? I had checked the voltages with a digital meter, and all seemed perfect - even after I noticed they were "dry." After I filled, the charger shut off in just over an hour, and the voltages are still perfect.

It now has extra "pep." But it had extra "pep" right after I filled with water. I intend to sell this to a friend, but don't want to sell him something that is screwed up.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You can purchase a inexpensive load tester fr harbor freight. I have had one for 2 years and it works great.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreenmachine72 View Post
You can purchase a inexpensive load tester fr harbor freight. I have had one for 2 years and it works great.
These testers don't put a big enough load on the batteries... in fact the cart itself is a much better load under which you can read pack or individual voltage to gauge battery health. That coupled with hydrometer readings will give a fair assessment.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
These testers don't put a big enough load on the batteries... in fact the cart itself is a much better load under which you can read pack or individual voltage to gauge battery health. That coupled with hydrometer readings will give a fair assessment.
You can't very well do hydrometer readings, check voltages under load, etc. on a cart you are just visiting. What do you look for, and how do you look for it, when appraising a used cart?

I thought buying 20 month old batteries would be fairly safe. But then I find the problem with the charger, and then find they are dry. Of course I'll be checking levels next time, but what else is practical to look for in a used cart?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I would still use a load tester but that's just my opinion. I always take it with me and that's what all the mechanics, auto parts store and garages here use. Always check the frame, look for excessive play in the steering, give it the old fashion push down on all four corners to check suspension and check all connections for burnt terminals etc.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That would be a good idea if your tester was anything more than a golf cart battery annoyance.
My distributor used a 350 amp carbon pile load tester, but it cost a small fortune... about as much as a Lester battery draw down machine.
The cart itself is hands down better tester than the HF 50 amp device which is better suited for starting batteries like a car or a lawnmower has.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:59 PM   #10
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

A digital voltmeter, appropriate leads and a test drive. If they wont let you do that, deduct for a set of batteries.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO