lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
stoker
Gone Wild

Default 2009 YDRE 48V speed sensor fryed controller?

lost for/rev,backup alarm,relay activation.but when i unhook speed sensor,i get relay activation back from tow switch,but not from key switch or petal?thanks
stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2009 YDRE 48V speed sensor fryed controller?

speed sensor has been very reliable. never seen it cause fried controller. sensor gets 5v from controller, sends back ~0-5v. heres controller plug pinout info if you wanna check it out. blue 5v, black B-, orange 0-5v signal. (error in book, but will help identify wires, i told them about it). pins 5, 6, 7. a paper clip slid in alongside wire will allow you to test while plugged in. the same 3 wires will be found at pedal sensor. sensor plug will also show 5v when tested at blue & black wires. test with key on & tow/run on. jack up rear of cart so nothing gets run over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150818_123649_248.jpg (80.7 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
stoker
Gone Wild

thanks cgtech,i will try that.last friday i ended up putting in a known good controller i robbed from another cart and with speed sensor plugged in everything is dead.unplug sensor and everything back to normal..have to think sensor is shorting controller at this point?looks like i will need controller and speed sensor at this point?
Old 06-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
mjroman20
Gone Wild

I would check resistance on the speed sensor wires, make sure there isn't a dead short. If the supply line is shorted the the ground it may be pulling enough current to put the 15 or 5v regulator in the control into an over-current or over-temp shutdown thus powering down the micro...so essentially the controller is "off" The controller itself may bot actually be damaged. You could also check the pins on the controller side of the speed sensor plug with it disconnected and make sure you have voltage there. Normally you would see 15, 10 and 5v depending on which two you measure between.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Make sure your speed sensor is wired correctly. It does sound like it is shorting out your controller 5V supply. Check it with a meter. You should get 5V between the power leads and 5V and ground on the sensor lead as you move the cart slightly.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
stoker
Gone Wild

no shorts on speed sensor wires going to controller.checked sensor (mine has black,green and red).with leads on black and green got zero output voltage while moving cart.when i ohm out sensor getting like 26ohms,which in all practical porposes is dead short?ohmed out known good sensor and was like 100K ohms..
Cart Mart In San marcos,Ca says they will warrantee this controller as it was only couple weeks old,plus i am sure they like are state business as we spend huge$$$ with them
thanks for help everyone
Old 06-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #7
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoker View Post
no shorts on speed sensor wires going to controller.checked sensor (mine has black,green and red).with leads on black and green got zero output voltage while moving cart.when i ohm out sensor getting like 26ohms,which in all practical porposes is dead short?ohmed out known good sensor and was like 100K ohms..
Cart Mart In San marcos,Ca says they will warrantee this controller as it was only couple weeks old,plus i am sure they like are state business as we spend huge$$$ with them
thanks for help everyone
Short between black and green on the sensor while moving? Sounds correct to me. Those typically function by pulling the green wire between 5V (or15V) and ground, alternately. Which is what produces the pulses the control sees for its speed input. Its typically an open collector configuration where the green wire (where it goes into the control) has a 5v pull-up.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:30 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

the "ohm" setting will not help you on the 0-5v yamaha throttle. tests should be done with 0-5v (volts readings) in mind, not "0-5k" ohms. the sensor has a "microchip" hall-effect-sensor inside that does not give any valuable readings on "ohms" setting like used to read older throttle sensors. black wire is "B-", orange wire is "5v +", blue wire is roughly ".5v at zero throttle, 4.7v at full throttle".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha