lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
hacum
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Engine runs; push gas pedal down - No Go?

I did the fuel pump test as mentioned above and it appears that the exsisting fuel pump works so I'll hang on to the new one for a back up. The new fuel filters are on and are filling with fuel. I'm still having the same problem. The engine runs for about 20 sec. and then it stops. It did sound better with the new fuel fiters on it.

Now I'm thinking the carb is gunked. I have very little experience with carbs and that was on a lawn mower. All I did was take the screw out of the bottom of the bowl and sprayed carb cleaner. Is the CC carb similar to that? I couldn't tell if there was a bolt/screw under the bowl or not.

Crash, you mentioned cleaning the carb. Does that include taking the whole carb off or just the bowl? Any tips on taking it off?
hacum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
hacum
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Oh, I did try the air hose tip but it was hard to tell since the motor only runs for about 20 sec.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
hacum
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

UPDATE: I took the carb off and soaked all the parts (it was a little dirty but not nearly as bad as I was expecting). I put it back on and I am still having the same problem. The engine will run for about 10 sec. before dying out and making the whinning noise. I've checked the spark plug and it's good. Fuel is getting to the carb. I even loosened the screw at the bottom of the carb and fuel drained out.

One thing to note is I think the gas in the tank is old. But I replaced the fuel filters, cleaned the carb, and fuel is flowing to the carb. Are there other problems the old fuel could cause?

Any other suggestions as to what the problem might be????

Thanks All,
Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 AM   #14
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacum View Post

One thing to note is I think the gas in the tank is old. But I replaced the fuel filters, cleaned the carb, and fuel is flowing to the carb. Are there other problems the old fuel could cause?
If the old fuel is starting to smell like turpentine, drain it, and refill with fresh premium!

(I would just do that anyway... If it doesn't work, you can mark it off the list!)

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #15
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

What is making the whinning noise? Starter belt slipping we are missing something here.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #16
hacum
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, I'll drain the old stuff.

I not exactly sure what's making the whinning noise. The motor will start up for a few approx 5 - 10 sec. and then slowly dies but I guess the motor is still trying to run when I hear the whinning. When the motor "stops" the belts stop turning. Maybe the whinning is coming from the belts not being able to turn? I'm not real sure. As I mentioned before, I am not much of a mechanic.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #17
crash12888
Gone Crazy

You might need to tighten the starter belt. That could give you some starting and charging problems. Have you checked anything out with the seat off?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #18
hacum
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I know how everyone loves pics so I have posted some and a before and after (however, I still have a few things left to do).

Yes, I am checking things with the seat off (unless your talking about the entire seat frame). Which I had the cart completely stripped down not long ago (as you can see in the pic). At that time I wasn't worried so much about the motor as I was giving the cart a "make-over." Because at that time the cart ran (it took it awhile to get going, but once it go going it ran well).

I checked the starter belt and it appeared to be tight as well as the drive/driven belt. I have determined that the noise is coming from the starter/gen. So maybe we are making some progress!

As I mentioned in the beginning, the cart use to run - it just took it a while to "warm up." But as of recently I would start up (but I could never actually get the cart to move) and then slowly die off as if it was running out of gas. Once the motor stopped, I could still hear the whinning noise (the starter/gen). And now the cart won't even start up. It goes straight to making the noise (which now it doesn't sound so much as a whinning noise as it does a "straining" noise.

Does that mean my starter/gen has gone bad? Or is the starter/gen doing that b/c of some other issue?

Again, Thanks for all your help!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1732.jpg (72.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1733.jpg (56.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1731.jpg (56.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1512.jpg (43.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg LimoCart02.jpg (55.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
You might need to tighten the starter belt. That could give you some starting and charging problems. Have you checked anything out with the seat off?
See if the starter belt is slipping, is drive belt tight when not trying to start dragging the engine down. I see two filters if you are running old gas you may be cloging up, I would eliminate the one between the pump and carb. GOOD LUCK.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #20
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I'm going to have to agree with DOOms on this one!

I pulled my clutches to get them machined at CPP... sadly, the bucks are kinda slim right now,
so... I put them back on, and couldn't get the starter belt tight enough by myself!
and wouldn't turn the engine over... it even kinda' quealed... whinned... made a funny noise...
My buddy Steve came over, and while he put pressure on the starter, I tightened the bolts!

Tighten the starter belt... even if it "seems" O.K.!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car