lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #11
EvilSpirit1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ Go Total Charge timer won't shut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjslam View Post

As for the charger, I REALLY appreciate the technical details because I have restored about 100 AM tube radios (mostly all american 5's) and have the equipment to handle testing, including an isolation transformer and variac.
I always smile when I hear people mention tube type equipment. My Dad got tired of having to take tubes to the drugstore and bought his own tester, which he used to keep family and friends equipment going as a hobby. Fond memories of "helping" him in the 60's and 70's testing tubes for repairs. I can remember him looking through the book to find the values to set the dials at to do the testing, and treating the book like the Holy Grail, since he said the tester was useless without it. When he passed away in the mid 80's I got the tester out for sale at our garage sale. Probably 50 people glanced over it and had no clue what it was or did. Then 2 guys spotted it at the same time, started a bidding war and almost got into a fist fight over it. We ended up getting double what we expected to - the guy that bought it said he had found several of the testers already, but none had the book to make it work.
EvilSpirit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2019, 02:16 AM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It's been a while since I heard anything through "tubes". But I still remember. Console boxes like they were in every house (or I thought every house). Man, those were big & heavy to move. Still remember those fondly, they were nice. A big peice of furniture in your home back then. Wish I still had one around, maybe just for the memories. (Because moving them was terrible), as a kid who didn't only play "Nintendo" all day. My folks were into radio stuff, and it took some time, but I came along to appreciate it too.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

My fascination with electronics is due to, or at least partially so, a former next-door neighbor that was into ham radio. He had these huge (rotatable) antennas on the roof of his house and on towers in his back yard and when he talked with hams in northern Europe all we could get on our radio was his half of the conversation.

Occasionally my dad and I would go over and while they talked, I'd get to wear a set of earphones and tune a SW receiver to stations all over the place. I guess that means I was DXing when my age was in single digits, but there was no follow up so I don't have any DX cards.

What I remember best from those visits was watching TV on election night 1952 (I was nine). The TV was a home built kluge with about six dozen tubes and a 5" CRT (round, so the rectangular picture didn't cover the whole screen). Ike won in a landslide, but the I was more interested in the fact they were using a computer (UNIVAC - also tubes) to make predictions. I believe that was the moment I became a computer nut in addition to the electronics nut I already was.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #14
wjslam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Coil test: 71.7 without cap, 86.5 with cap

Also, circuit breaker is stuck closed.
wjslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Coil test: 71.7 without cap, 86.5 with cap

Also, circuit breaker is stuck closed.
Ought to read 60VAC +/-5VAC (55VAC to 65Vac) without capacitor connected and 90VAC +/- 7VAC (83VAC to 97VAC) when it is connected.
So the transformer is out of specs on the high side when cap is disconnected, but it is in specs with the cap connected.
I suspect that is another contributing factor to the low amp output after the on-charge voltage climbs some.

The circuit breaker is a push to reset type, that doesn't have a pull to turn off feature.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #16
wjslam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So is the coil a keeper? Also, breaker button travel is perhaps 1 millimeter. Normal?

Last edited by wjslam; 11-23-2019 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So is the coil a keeper? Also, breaker button travel is perhaps 1 millimeter. Normal?
Transformer might have a shorted winding in the secondary, that's about the only thing I can think of that would up the output voltage. Of course, in AC line voltage might have been high or the AC voltmeter might be off.

Unfortunately, the cost of a transformer is more than the cost of as modern charger.

Don't know how much the breaker button normally moves. Just know it doesn't have a gripping area on it like the buttons on the turn-off type breakers do.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #18
wjslam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the help JohnnyB. Is it ok to replace the board and continue to use the charger?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for all the help JohnnyB. Is it ok to replace the board and continue to use the charger?
Only if it charges the batteries to something resembling a full charge and doesn't get hot or smoke.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #20
wjslam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

One more question. In previous post #9 photos above, I cannot determine whether the black wire or the yellow wire went to the melted relay terminal. The schematic shows a different terminal configuration. Not willing to risk the old "let's try this and see what happens" method

Thanks again for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO