lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
dkizerian
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Machining Clutch/s and Speed

Hi all, I've read through all I can find and still am a bit confused...

I have a 97 ds, that will stay stock height on 18" tires, and I'm looking for a bit more speed.

I'm going to do the governor adjust tonight and see where that gets me. Want to leave the RPM limiter, or set the governor at 3800/3900 to be safe.

I'm also thinking about clutch machining, but am a little confused.

For more speed, only the drive clutch gets machined? does this just get the belt to ride a little higher on the clutch for a higher ratio?

The torque spring, and + 200 RPM spring kit would both then add torque, but hurt top speed?

Any other tricks I'm missing for a little more top speed on a DS?
dkizerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
dkizerian
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Machining Clutch/s and Speed

I've adjusted the gas pedal rod, and gained 2mph or so up to 14mph.

Tried playing with the governor, but had brittle zip ties that kept breaking, but it seems like I'll get about 300-400rpm more out of the engine with this mod, and just keeping it off of the rev limiter...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Your on the right track!
You seem to be doing everything that can be done to get a higher top speed!

That being said...

Your going to have to understand that, there is only so much you can do with the FE290 engine,
(rod adjustment, zip tie, staying below the rev limiter specs, and keeping the stock 18" tires!)
You really can't expect too much from a small, single cylinder engine that wasn't designed for racing!

All of the things you've tried, are the best your cart is going to be able to do,
without spending money on upgrading to larger tires, larger engine etc.

Getting the drive clutch machined may be one of your last options to gain a few more mph's
And yes... you will lose some low end torque, but it all depends on how your going to use your cart,
(flat lands, or climbing hills) that really base what you will be happy with!
And, if your like any of us... you'll never be happy!

BTW... welcome to BGW!
Your doing a GREAT job researching before asking!

Start saving your $$$! (or spending them... )

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
dkizerian
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Don!

Cart will get used almost exclusively at a race track for paddock transport / late night hijinks!, and has to deal with only the mildest of hills. I'm thinking once the tach gets here I'll be more willing to remove the RPM cutoff and play with the Governor.

Sometime this winter I'm adding HD rear springs - seams like there will always be a cooler, or tools, or tires, or a person on the back - and when I do that I might also get a pair of 20" tires for just the rear, which will also help with speed.

Maybe this weekend I'll get around to taking a picture of the cart while I can still get one of it with it's brother (my dad's cart)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car