lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
amp077
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 87 gas club car

90psi.....I added a little oil and didnt get much better. Valves??
amp077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Maybe? Either way I don't think you would want to open the engine for repair and not do a rebore, piston, rings, and reseat the valves? I did one recently and shaved .050 off of the head to increase compression a bit. It ran nice and strong.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #13
amp077
Not Yet Wild

You just killed my buzz....Would it be easier to get another engine or trade it in?? I'm not much on overhaulin golf cart engines...
Old 12-19-2009, 03:54 AM   #14
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp077 View Post
90psi.....I added a little oil and didnt get much better. Valves??
Where did you add the oil, through the sparkplug hole ?
No significant improvement in compression would point to valve leakdown. Do you feel any pulsation through the carburetor intake ?

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
amp077
Not Yet Wild

I did add it to the spark plug hole and I do feel some pulsation at the carb intake. It almost sounds like exhaust coming back .
Old 12-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #16
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Amp, I would strongly suspect a sticking valve if you have pressure ( however slight ) coming back through the intake. Others here have reported that carbon pieces have caused valves to stick open. 1st stop would be to pull the head and have a good look around. Another trick if you have the facility is to pressurise the cylinder while at TDC and listen / feel for air coming through the exhaust outlet or carb throat.
Hope that helps,

Chris.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #17
amp077
Not Yet Wild

Chris, when I put about 20psi in the cyl. it turns sound like some air might be coming out of the exhaust, but it also tries to turn the engine over. When I run it full throttle I can feel air pressure coming out of the carb intake. Even 5 inches away. That sounds like an exhaust valve doesnt it. The only way to unstick it is to pull the head???
Old 12-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #18
amp077
Not Yet Wild

Wait, if the engine turns with pressure then both the valves should be shut. So the exhaust valve has to be stuck shut, right? Any idea where I can get engine info on line or do I have to buy a service manual. I have never worked on small engines, but I can only assume they have lifters if a valve can stick.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like an exhaust valve issue Amp. You have the flat head motor right ? Easy enough to pull the head and a gasket set is pretty cheap. Check the bore while you are in there as per Scottys post and with luck you will be good to go. The reason the motor is turning might be due to a very small leak which will show some but not all of the necessary compression to allow the engine to run smoothly. It doesn't take much to cause your symptoms.

Chris.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
amp077
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I'll pull the head and let you know. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car