lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
rz6kdt
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring Question

Hi I am new to the golf cart world and trying to understand how to properly wire accessories on my cart.
I just bought a 2007 EZ-GO PDS. It came wired with many accessories such as lights, turn signals, horn, and MP3 player but, I want to add some additional items and after reading many posts on here, I am not sure it was set up the best way it should be. It appears they have everything running off 1 set of batteries to a fuse block. Is this drawing from all the batteries this way? I am wondering of this is the best way it should be done or should I get a converter? How is a converter set up differently that it draws from all the batteries?
If I wanted to add more accessories, how do I obtain 12 volts with 6 volt batteries? As I said, I am new to this and trying to understand. I mainly plan to run this gold cart around my marina and really no off roading.
Thank You
rz6kdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
dodgefather
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wiring Question

Welcome to BGW. I guess you have a 36 volt cart? To get 12 volts you simply hook up to positive on one battery and negative on another. I have lights on one set, volt meter on the 1st set and radio, running lights, and horn on another. seems to work okay. Hope this helps.
dodgefather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefather View Post
Welcome to BGW. I guess you have a 36 volt cart? To get 12 volts you simply hook up to positive on one battery and negative on another. I have lights on one set, volt meter on the 1st set and radio, running lights, and horn on another. seems to work okay. Hope this helps.
It works but it is not recommended by the manufacture. They recommend you use a DC reducer. the difference is you are drawing off of just 2 batteries and the reducer draws off of all 6 keeping the drain even so that they are equal when the recharging starts. The manufacture says running 12v from just 2 batteries will shorten the useful life of the pack. This info comes from Trojan Battery company.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
ragmop1
Not Yet Wild

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in and say DON'T DO IT!!! You will be buying a set of batteries sooner than you want to. I just spent a ton on a new set because I tapped 12v that way. Scotty is right. Invest in a voltage reducer and you'll get longer life from your batts. If I had known that a few years ago, I believe I could have gotten longer life from my batteries. An expensive lesson for sure.
ragmop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
rz6kdt
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all for your replies...I just ordered a 25 amp Red Hawk. I am convinced this is the best way to go and less to maintain than a separate 12 volt battery. One question I do have is what size wires should I run for the reducer to the batteries?
rz6kdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO