lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
white lightning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default hit the brakes and the cart goes dead.

I have a 1994 EZ Go Marathon 36 v.If you hit the brake pedal even to slow down a little the cart will cut off. I have to lock the brake down and turn the switch off a couple times before it will go again. However if I leave my foot on the accelerator pedal (not actually pressing it) the cart does fine. Any ideas as to why this is?
white lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: hit the brakes and the cart goes dead.

I too am at a loss, considering you description of your problem. isn't your brakes totally mechanical? how could that cause your cart to stop running?? do you have brake lights wired in some how so that their is some mechanical to electrical connection??
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
lance_214
Rode hard, put up wet!

Club Car

Don't hit the brakes! Cut holes in the floor boards and use your feet like the Flintstones. Just kidding...sorry can't help ya but I'm like Nuke..thought it was cable!
lance_214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had the same EXACT problem you had with my 1991 Marathon. My solution was to replace the potentiometer micro switch. I remember having to stomp on the gas pedal over and over to get it to go. If you decide to give replacing that switch a shot before you do I would check my "Low Current" wiring for loose connections, and I would also make sure my key switch was in tact and the metal prongs on it were not loose. If everything checks out good try replacing that switch, that is what fixed my cart. I attached a picture to show you where the switch is located. I also have attached a wiring diagram in case you ever need one.

Here is the micro switch you would need if you wanted to replace the old one,

http://www.justgolfcarts.com/misweel90mas.html

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0229.jpg (76.6 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Marathon_Schematic.pdf (78.1 KB, 0 views)
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
white lightning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks. The potentionmeter was one of my choices. I don't know why it does this as the brakes are mechanical. My plan is to replace the potentionmeter and the ignition. The ignition appears to have been tampered with(the previous owner said someone tried to steal it).
Old 07-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When the cart does work, when you slowly press the gas pedal to the floor after the solenoid clicks does the cart accelerate smoothly to full speed? If it does there is nothing wrong with your potentiometer. I was talking about the little black spring switch on top of the potentiometer. If your key switch has been messed with that could be something too look into. You should only need to replace the potentiometer if the cart's speed jumps all around as you slowly press the pedal to full speed. The ignition might also be the problem. Maybe when you set the brake and release it it shakes the wiring on the key switch allowing the connection to come back. Here is what you should try to do, stand outside the cart with the seat off and press the gas pedal just enough so you hear the solenoid click, at that point, wiggle the Key Switch wiring and listen for the solenoid to click on and off. That will tell you if you have a bad connection either on the key switch itself or coming from the key switch. Try that test and tell me what you find.

Matt
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
white lightning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Matt. I just got home and will try that a little later this evening. It is smooth getting to speed and stays smooth about the whole time. But like I said earlier, someone had tried to steal it and the key switch is a little mangled and hard to turn. I will get back to you later. Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO