lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2010 Yamaha Drive Transaxle Oil Change

I changed my 2009 this spring after I bought the cart and it was dirty, but no where close to what yours is. I changed it the way the manual said, and it was a breeze.
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #12
BowHuntinFever
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Drain and add just automatic transmission fluid, cheapest you can find. Run easy for a mile or so then drain and fill with gear oil as specified. The high detergents in ATF will break down the sludge and not damage bearings for such a short run.

I was gonna say the same thing. That's a great idea. I used to put it in my Chevy 350 engine before I drove home from work and then change oil as soon as I got there. Had over 350,000miles on that baby when I sold it. Great compression and didn't burn any oil. Engine was very clean internally thanks to the AT Fluid.
I also put a qt in my F350 PS fuel tank every other fill up. Great preventive maintenance!
BowHuntinFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
newb24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for all the traffic on this issue and the feedback. I'm definitley going the transmission fluid route, I'm just a little tired of draining that thing right now.

I did just buy some jack stands to make my life easier and just plunked down $$$$ for a new set of batteries.

this is a great place to help me get my cart tuned, up, can't say thanks enough.
newb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #14
Bronco Barney
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The ATF trick I have used since the late 70's on all cars I have owned. It works great and keeps everything clean. We put 359K miles on a 1990 Mazda with no repairs and still passed smog when we sold it at 11 yrs. old using ATF before every change.

I took a Bronco engine out one time and popped off the valve cover to look inside and it had piles of black semi hard "black gold" oil covering everything! I called the owner and asked when he last change his oil and he said he never changes oil.... just the filter! YUK! Oil does break down so you need to change it.... at least once a century!
Bronco Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:51 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Nasty sludge crud is common, and is from brake linings. Even a 1yr old cart will have it. The ATF trick will clean it, but might hurt the brake linings. It is very much like a motorcycle clutch, putting wrong fluid will make brakes act weird AT MINIMUM for a little while. The brake linings are crazy expensive to replace (like only $200 more for a whole new axle). Might want to stick with gear lube flushes as opposed to atf. If the "wet brakes" squeek as you come to a stop, and correct fluid does not fix it, the brakes are shot, i have seen several of the "lifetime brakes" worn out (usually on heavy use fleet or stretch carts).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #16
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

To add to that....ATF formulations doe not contain detergents. This is a myth. Transmissions are not ingression systems and do not require detergents. The same goes for gear oils. The "cleaning" ability of ATF is more likey washing of the housing due to its much lower viscosity. Which is exactly what you don't want in a transaxle.
Sevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #17
Jadomec88
Not Yet Wild

Do you have the gasket number or did you use gasket maker
Jadomec88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #18
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I just finished pulling the rear end out of my YDRE to service the brakes and clean everything up. Next step is to clean the outside as much as possible and then disassemble to replace the brake discs. The brake cable was out of adjustment range when I got this cart used. The brakes work but I'm pretty sure that they are fairly well worn. It's a 2010 cart and I doubt that it's ever been serviced or had the fluid changed.
Wish me luck!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadomec88 View Post
Do you have the gasket number or did you use gasket maker
There was never a gasket, it used silicone from the factory.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #20
Peth0201
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Wanted to share what I did. First off, thanks for sharing this years ago. It still plays.

After removing the black plastic bagwell cover, I cut some of the body plastic for easier access. This helped me have better access to remove the bolts with an 8MM alan wrench. It did not affect the integrity of the bod. just don't cut too much out. I had my oil drip pan ready and didn't spill a drip. Crack the bolt, then slowly hand unwind for less of a mess.

Brakes don't make a noise now!
Peth0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha