lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Smee112488
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1997 EZ Go Medalist Rebuild

Hello all,

I'm kinda killing two birds with one stone here but my name is Jordan Chapman. This is really my first experience with owning a golf cart. I was able to get one from my wife's aunt for free checked the serial numbers through EZ-GO and it turns out it is a 1997 Medalist 36v. It just quit running on her and has been sitting in the same spot for between 5-7 years, so needless to say it is going to require a good bit of work. I've been juggling trying to work on it myself, or taking it somewhere and given the fact that it won't even roll at the moment that kinda complicates things.

I have been pleased with the amount of help I've received so far on this forum and I look forward to finishing this build. My goal is to have it finished by beach time this summer because Ocean Lakes is very proud of their rental carts...lol.

I will be posting pictures probably later this evening of the current condition of the cart, also any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

The plans are, probably in this order...
1. Address issues that come with it setting that long (new batteries/wiring)
2. Get it running
3. Fabricate a rear seat and replace front seats
4. Freshen up paint and aesthetics of same
AND
5. lift and tires (probably next year)

Thanks in advance for all your help...
Jordan Chapman
Smee112488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
Smee112488
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1997 EZ Go Medalist Rebuild

Here are the pictures I promised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2052.jpg (225.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2051.jpg (224.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2054.jpg (221.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2055.jpg (223.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2056.jpg (222.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Looks like it could be a fun project. Post as you go and ask plenty of questions , along with using the search feature. There are a whole bunch of threads on people's rebuilds.

My only experience with carts, other than driving them, is rebuilding my 2001. While I still don't know much, I was able to get it done with the help of this forum and it was pretty fun. Trust me, if I could figure it out, you can and you'll save some $, along with having the satisfaction.

If I were you, I'd strip it down to the frame to start with. You've most likely got some rust and corrosion issues to take care of. Clean and paint the entire frame with por 15. From there, you can assess and repair/ replace the wiring harness, lube all fittings, replace bushings, change diff fluid, etc. At some point, you'll need to decide what exactly you want the cart to be able to do, and how you'll use it. That will dictate what you do about replacing the parts to make it go.

Good luck, and more luck not going crazy with what you want to do with it.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
boonesbuggies
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

That's definitely a medalist I've had somewhere around 15 of them. Here's the thing they only made them in late 94' and 95'. Then they went to the plastic / fiberglass txt body. The best way to tell a medalist apart from a txt other than its metal body is the black spoiler piece on the front cowl. It also gets in the way of putting factory style lights in. But on the plus side medalist are good carts I picked a free one up a while back put a $500 set of new batteries and a $150 controller in it and shes running strong.
boonesbuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
Smee112488
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonesbuggies View Post
That's definitely a medalist I've had somewhere around 15 of them. Here's the thing they only made them in late 94' and 95'. Then they went to the plastic / fiberglass txt body. The best way to tell a medalist apart from a txt other than its metal body is the black spoiler piece on the front cowl. It also gets in the way of putting factory style lights in. But on the plus side medalist are good carts I picked a free one up a while back put a $500 set of new batteries and a $150 controller in it and shes running strong.
Well I am inclined to believe you and now that leaves me not sure what year it is then. When I ran the serial number on EZ Go's website it told me it was a 1997 Electric Medalist s/n 1028454 (copied straight from their website). My question is if I am going to have to replace the entire electrical system what all am I looking at? I like to be prepared for the worst, also I am trying to justify rebuilding this over looking for a good shape used one. What I am looking for is a list of all the parts I would need to replace all the electrical components just in case I get into this cart and the rats nests that i found manifest into rat chewed wires. Also where is the best place to order those particular parts from?
Old 01-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
FF Titus
Gone Wild

Years ago I was speaking to an ezgo tech in augusta where he told me they made medalists unofficially until 99, then discontinued completely.

A wiring harness won't be too hard to find, typically the F&R cam copper connections get pitted out or loosen, arc, melt, etc.
FF Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
Smee112488
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well...there has been an interesting series of events that have taken place and I am going today to look at a club car ds (unknown year). For the price I can't really pass it up and it runs and drives so it's already a little ahead of where I'm at on my current cart. So depending on how that goes this build may get pushed to the back burner for the meantime.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:20 PM   #8
zhhb84
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonesbuggies View Post
thanks for the information about black spoiler. that helps me a lot.
zhhb84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1997 36v, ez go
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO