lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
zmurph24
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ GO 212cc swap F-N-R Gear box & Live Axle Build

Hey Gents, new to the forum but Ive seen plenty of awesome electric to gas conversions on here.

Heres what im working with:

Unknown year EZ GO (txt?) electric cart/ Got it for a sweet deal I couldn't pass up on! Been looking for a cart to throw a clone in. This cart is in excellent conditions. Just some beauty parts like paint and lift etc.. well thats what I thought.

Bad:

No batteries.. well maybe thats a good thing

Bad rear axle. When I was picking up the cart fortunately I was told by a young employee that the drivers slide axle shaft will not stay in and likes to slide out. I pulled the rear end to have a look and eventually mod the electric motor. After wasting too many hours trying to diagnose the problem Ive decided I want to install a live axle

Besides I hated the gear ratio the electric motors have.

Build List

Heavily modded 212 cc predator. (I know I could drop in a 420 but i already have the motor so why the hell not!)

torque converter tav 2 30 series

Forward Neutral Reverse Go kart gear box

42 or 44 inch live axle build with dual dual disc setup to run off stock dual brake cables

electric start conversion

deep cycle battery

and much more. Ill worry about later

Now an issue im concerned with that ive never heard anyone talk about while doing an electric to gas conversion is what about leaf spring flexing with a a chain driven rear end. I have a good idea how I will mount the live axle to leaf springs im just concerned with the chain drive and axle flex.

if the chain will end up binding if the golf cart flexing. Ill have to remove the leaf springs and build some type of solid 2 point swing arm.

I didn't take any pics of the work I did today.

Pulled the axle... which ways a ton!!

removed leaf springs and looked for any more fixes that need to be done.

stripped out all the electrical components

just needs a good wash and sand off some surface rust.

Stay Tuned for More pics and updates!
zmurph24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: EZ GO 212cc swap F-N-R Gear box & Live Axle Build

You make a cradle with the engine and rear attached, mount that on leaf springs and a snubber/3rd mount in the front of it. Then the distance engine to trans/axle never moves.

A lift with large tires may really hurt performance with 8hp you can easily get out of that, but again you could gear it down lower too, lower than a stock cart is. Many stock older carts were 8.5-9.5hp in good condition so you are not too far off, but they are lacking in power with lifts and big tires that gear them up.

What do you need a deep cycle for, standard car battery should be fine. DC do not have as much cranking power you need for a starter, I mean it would work but its more expensive for no reason unless you plan to run something off it.

Cart does look pretty nice, good start for a build.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:48 AM   #3
zmurph24
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post

A lift with large tires may really hurt performance with 8hp you can easily get out of that, but again you could gear it down lower too, lower than a stock cart is. Many stock older carts were 8.5-9.5hp in good condition so you are not too far off, but they are lacking in power with lifts and big tires that gear them up.

What do you need a deep cycle for, standard car battery should be fine. DC do not have as much cranking power you need for a starter, I mean it would work but its more expensive for no reason unless you plan to run something off it.

Cart does look pretty nice, good start for a build.
Engine size I definitely agree. I have the engine so I can count that out of my cost list for right now. But if the right deal comes along for a 420 or some 15-16hp motor with electric start. Ill take that route.

Reasoning behind a deep cycle battery. I have an offroad truck camper that I use a deep cycle in to run various electronics lights etc while off grid. I do have a 100w solar panel that charges my deep cycle. Another option that draws me to a deep cycle is that they can handle severe drains and full charges.

By next year Ill be living back on the Texas Coast and will be using it primarily for beach trips back and forth to the house, and to setup for night fishing.

I plan to have a sound system, Led light bars and if Im parked at the beach (we can drive on the beach in TX) all day long listening to the radio I should have enough juice with the right size battery to crank up the cart. If not I have pull start. Also plan to run a 20w solar panel with controller on the roof maybe flush mount for incognito..

sorry Ive been slacking on the build this is my priority at the moment.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:36 AM   #4
Dennisneri
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

sweet view where is that?
Dennisneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes that looks like fun ride!!

Home depot has them on sale right now 259 for the recoil and 320 for elec start, 15hp 420cc.

That would be good if you run radio for hours and stuff, sure it will store more power if you do that kinds of stuff with it.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
zmurph24
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisneri View Post
sweet view where is that?
About an hour north of Denver Colorado!
Old 05-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I have family in Denver, they have a big jeep and go up there. Really is something to see.

Tags
clone swap, ez go, live axle golf cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps