lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
Hang10er
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Drive windshield

2016 Yamaha G29 drive. Had what I think was the original fold down tinted windshield. Trailered it no problems. The tape hinge holding the 2 pieces finally let loose. Ordered a cheaper (yes, I know,) tinted fold down replacement. Seemed not as tinted and thinner. First long trailer trip and it cracked where the bolts go through the glass. On the way back split more.

Suggestions on where to get replacement? I would like to buy a true Yamaha replacement if not overly priced. Saw someone sells a quick disconnect one, should I be taking it off before I trailer it at highway speeds? I do trailer it with the cart facing forward.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Hang10er is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2022, 11:17 AM   #2
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Drive windshield

Fix the OG windshield by putting a piano hinge on it then it still fold’s and is stronger then original
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
Hang10er
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Leon....wish I would've thought of that prior to trashing it.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe you cud use a Polaris fold out windshield scratch that you maybe can make your own with plexiglass and a piano hinge from the hared ware store
Old 06-27-2022, 12:01 PM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

A piano hinge is a terrible idea, what a perfect way to ugly up such a nice looking buggy. This is a prime example of what a back yard 'self proclaimed mechanic' junk yard dog would do, absolutely a classic cobble job lol. Not only that, it wouldn't last very long. All the little bolt holes so close to the edge will crack out, especially since you're trailering it at high speeds.........

Which brings me to my next point, these windshields just aren't made for trailering at high speeds. If you're going to replace it I'd go with the quick release style and take it off, but if you want to try to repair it they do make a replacement plastic hinge. They come with the proper glue and everything you need, although I've never had to use one so I can't say how well they hold up.......

Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #6
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Paint the piano hinge black then it would look ok
Old 06-27-2022, 02:06 PM   #7
Hang10er
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I'm open to any and all ideas but yes, I am willing to buy (another) new one, not repair or fabricate my own. I did find a "quick disconnect" one that appears to be 1/4" thick versus some that are about $40 cheaper and are 3/16" or 7/32". It's online on a popular golf cart website but is currently out of stock. I was hoping for some recommendations or reviews from anyone who has replaced theirs.

I have learned 2 lessons trailering my golf cart.

1) Tie the seat down. I purchased my cart about a 3 hour drive away. The seat (with brand new cover) bounced free and slid onto the roadway. On a toll road! I found out when I stopped for gas about 45 minutes later. I had to drive back up the toll road and then back again, being charged at the "vehicle plus single axle trailer" rate. I found it but of course it was unsalvageable.

2) Now the windshield. I take my cart to a local coastal town which is a 30 minute trailer ride pretty often. I also take it once a year to for a week on the river which is an 3 1/2 hour trip. I will be removing it from now on.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Hard lessons learned. I usually take any “fly away” potential items off, and put them in the back of car. Mainly seat bottom and windshield.

Windshields aren’t that expensive, I wouldn’t understand why anyone would want to DIY something like that. That’s just crappy. Piano hinge just no. And painting everything in the world black or flat black does NOT make it magically make it the answer for all problems

Personally, and just my opinion, I just buy the “cheap” ~$100 ones. Generally after a couple years of use they start to get kinda sand blasted and scratched up and stuff anyway.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha