lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2022, 07:19 AM   #1
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default OBC for Lithium vs. OBC went bad

I read all 41 pages in the sticky on OBC bypassing.
But...
Most are because the "OBC went bad." Not because of changing to lithium. I am changing to lithium, so, my question is unique to that. My OBC and charger all work fine.

I have a 2006 PQ precedent (rocker switch F?R, but I think my regen setting of off because it just coasts... which I like).

If the bypass is for the purpose of a lithium pack (big bat 48v eagles going in, with their own charger) do I still need to do BOTH of these procedures: "blue and white wire butt connector thing" AND also the "black wire from charge receptacle to neg pack" thing?
Or... just the Blue and White wire connection?
What would I run the black wire to from the charge receptacle? The negative busbar that BigBatt provides? I am thinking I don't need to do that at all, unless it competes some type of circuit?
BigBattery mentions NOTHING about doing any of this in their install video.
demarcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2022, 08:04 AM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: OBC for Lithium vs. OBC went bad

Just jumper the OBC with the blue and white. Since you'll be using a lithium charger, you don't need the black wire that goes through the OBC.

The rerouted black wire from pack negative to the charge port is only needed if you will be using the original charge port, as in a bypass for a broken obc.

If your charger is on-board, you will have a new charge receptacle that uses a standard extension cord.

After doing this, I recommend removing the obc from the cart. It is no longer needed and will clean up some territory.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:06 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Remove it and put it up for sale to someone that needs one. They are expensive pieces of crap and you will never need it with Lithium.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:40 AM   #4
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Makes sense.
So, I am literally JUST jumping the blue and white wires and clipping/wrapping the others (or removing them from the plug head). NOTHING else? Just leave the old PowerDrive3 charging receptacle its associated wires as they are? Wire up the new batts and charger to my cart's main + and - wires via the busbar provided by BigBattery? I'll have the extension cord looking 110 plug under the seat from the new charger, ready to plug into my wall outlet.

That's it?
Really appreciate your responses.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:31 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Remove the old charge receptacle and install one of these. It will fit the old hole with minor adjustment of the screw holes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other wires can be terminated any way you like, as long as the blue and white are jumpered.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:49 PM   #6
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Appreciate the clarification. Thank you.
I actually ordered one of those 110 receptacle adapters yesterday! I just did not know if the old charge receptacle wires needed to be terminated a certain way to complete a circuit, or trick the OBC or whatever. I will just unhook the old receptacle and cap off the wires.

I am happy you clarified this. Most posts (I read all 41 pages in the sticky) that talk OBC are because they went bad, not because of a lithium upgrade.

Last thought... any idea WHY Bigbattery.com does NOT mention anything about this entire OBC process anywhere, including in the Eagle 48v installation video? Makes me think something unique to BigBattery products already tricks the OBC without a bypass, since nobody seems to even know they need to do this. They literally sell this kit for this exact upgrade purpose, and their YouTube installation vid says nothing about it.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:42 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Last thought... any idea WHY Bigbattery.com does NOT mention anything about this entire OBC process
Perhaps they want to make one set of instructions that fit all. CC,EZ GO and Yamaha
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:31 PM   #8
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by demarcor View Post
Appreciate the clarification. Thank you.
I actually ordered one of those 110 receptacle adapters yesterday! I just did not know if the old charge receptacle wires needed to be terminated a certain way to complete a circuit, or trick the OBC or whatever. I will just unhook the old receptacle and cap off the wires.

I am happy you clarified this. Most posts (I read all 41 pages in the sticky) that talk OBC are because they went bad, not because of a lithium upgrade.
You're right, most obc bypasses are done without replacing the charge receptacle. Glad to help!
Old 06-30-2022, 11:35 PM   #9
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Perhaps they want to make one set of instructions that fit all. CC,EZ GO and Yamaha
Correct, the OBC bypass is only required for Club Cars.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car