lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #21
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Charger

Well after 17 hours the charger was still humming right along. It did NOT shut off. Of course I unplugged it and the voltage settled back to 54.2v. I have tried the OBC reset procedures listed several times on this forum with no luck. Does anybody have any other ideas or do I just need to bite the bullet and purchase a new OBC or can they be overhauled ?
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #22
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That procedure listed is very outdated.

You need to leave the battery pack disconnected for more than 10 minutes, no need to mess with key switch, FNR or pedal, and no buzzer will ever sound.

Was the pack disconnect for more than 10 minutes when You tried to reset the OBC?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #23
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yes it was. The reset procedure I read said to disconnect the negative cable and all of the other steps for five minutes to discharge a capacitor so to make sure it was completely discharged I left the cable off for 15 minutes or so. Should I retry the reset but only disconnect the negative cable? The charger got down to 3 amps and stayed there. The batteries never got hot nor did any of the cables.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #24
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If You left the cable OFF for 15 minutes, the OBC reset.

Since You have an IQ cart, I thought Your OBC version would also turn the battery warning light ON the first time You drove after the reset, but perhaps that did not start until a later version of the OBC software.

After the reset, the charging will definitely take a lot longer for the first few times as the OBC uses a dV/dT algorithm instead of the data collected from the pack negative cable that runs through the OBC's Hal effect current sensing device, in order to get a base line of Your existing battery pack full capacity.

I am not sure how precise that 16 hour counter is, but You may want to let it run again a few times to see if it will finish the baseline calculation and switch to energy counting mode.

Since the charging current is dropping, it appears the process is working, just let it charge overnight and keep an eye like You did before and manually disconnect it if is still running after 17 hours.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #25
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Will do Sergio. I will report back tomorrow with an update.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #26
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I had a 99 regen 2 the charger did not turn off, the batteries were weak, after a few cycles of charging and using cart for a few minutes then reconnecting charger it starting working correctly.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #27
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info Kroger. I won't give up on my OBC just yet.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #28
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Sorry mrgolf. I hate auto correct.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #29
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyT View Post
Thanks for the info Kroger. I won't give up on my OBC just yet.
never seen that one
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:01 PM   #30
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Good news to report. We took the cart out yesterday and did approximately 7 miles. My intent was to draw them down a good bit and let the charger, batteries and OBC get to know each other again. Once we returned home I connected the charger and let it run over night. It ran for 17 hours again without shutting off. "mrgolf" stated that it took a couple charging cycles for the OBC finally shut the charger off on his cart. We took it back this morning and did more than 8 miles. The charger was connected about 3:30 and I just checked it and had shut off!!!! I am going to do another run tomorrow to verify that everything is operating as it should. Thanksgiving for all the help and info.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car