lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default precedent factory wiring doesn't make sense??

Can someone please explain to me how this wiring works on this 2005 precedent IQ factory wired cart?

I am referring to the reducer wiring. This is all factory. I see up under the front end, a reducer, 16 volts to ? probably 12?

Anyway, there are the 2 black 10 gage wires going to the reducer. What baffles me, is in the battery area ( 8 volt batteries ), the black 10 gage bullet wire is hooked up to factory wiring harness ( which is normally main negative), and the 10 gage blue wire that comes out of the fatory harness, passes thru a fuse then lands on the negative of battery # 4.

If you look at a diagram from club car, it does show it wired this way. Why is the blue wire going to a negative battery and why battery # 4?

Also in the diagram, it shows 2 blue spade terminals, one on main postive and 1 on this negative terminal on battery # 4, And both spade terminals say converter B+.

Why 2 locations? What exactly is going on here?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: precedent factory wiring doesn't make sense??

Don't know about your wiring diagram. The reducer has one black wire on one end that goes to pack neg. the other end has two black wires. They are to be the negative side of two different circuits. The positive side will come from number five battery positive post, which connects to the number four negative post, which is not a part of the circuit. Clear as mud.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

A 2005 Precedent didn't come factory with 8 volt batteries. Whoever did the battery conversion had to have done some of that stuff themselves. The black wire is not fused on anything that I've ever seen. The reason you're seeing two Positive B+ Converter posts is because there are two converter options. One is a 16 to 12 and one is a 48 to 12. For the 16 to 12, you'll use the positive wire of battery number 5, or the negative post of battery number 4... Same wire, same result. Often, people will use the negative of battery number 4 for the positive feed because of the wire length of the light harness. Depending on the light kit, it may not be long enough to reach the positive of battery number 5.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Mr Golf, as far as clear as mud, the club car oem reducer part number is
103484502. It has ONLY 2 wires coming out of it.

If you look at a wiring diagram from a precedent, say a 2011, you will see 2 blue spade connectors, 1 on main postive, the other on # 5 negative. On that diagram, it says by both blue terminals, B+ convertor.

The cart i am looking at is a 2005 precedent, that has the 1 original owner. The dealer he bought the cart from in 05, apparently installed the wiring and lites etc.

I have never seen 2 different negative wires coming out of a precedent harness, one to the black bullet connector and 1 to the # 5 negative.

Dave i'm not following you that you get positive voltage from a wire hooked to a negative battery terminal. Let me go back and re read your post. Thanks for the input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-02-01 15.59.26.jpg (117.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-02-01 15.55.48.jpg (89.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-02-01 15.56.01.jpg (52.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Look at the battery cables, you will see the positive cable on battery five goes to the negative post on battery four. So if you put your negative meter probe on battery six negative and the positive probe on number five positive you get 16 volts three about. The move the positive probe to numbed four negative you get the same reading. Number four battery its self is not in play.

As for the reducer I was going from the ones I have removed from DS carts.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I 've seen the ones on the ds carts with 3 wires. They reduce the negative.

This one is a club car part number, much smaller than the ds ones, and plugs into a factory club car harness, no splices etc.

Anyway, where i am going with this entire post, is why is both wires ( black bullet connection, and the # 10 blue going to negative?
Old 02-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

ok, Dave i see what you are saying that the 2 battery terminals are basically the same. So on this cart, if we are calling this blue wire a positive wire, then isn't this sending 16 volts positive thru this blue factory wire?

Then squeezing down the voltage on the return of the negative wire?

Another question, since this blue wire is in the factory wiring, is it always hot, with key switch off and tow in run?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
ok, Dave i see what you are saying that the 2 battery terminals are basically the same. So on this cart, if we are calling this blue wire a positive wire, then isn't this sending 16 volts positive thru this blue factory wire?

Then squeezing down the voltage on the return of the negative wire?

Another question, since this blue wire is in the factory wiring, is it always hot, with key switch off and tow in run?
In order to get 16 volts you have to have a positive and a negative to complete the circuit. Where the power is sourced from will determine your voltage. By taking a quick look at the battery pack it would be easy to assume that your lights are hooked up to 16 volts, but that's where the reducer comes in. The 16 to 12 volt reducer works the same way on the Precedent that it does on the DS. The negative wire runs out of the harness and into the reducer where it reduces 16 volts to 12 volts and then back up into the harness where it runs behind the dash. It installs between the light harness and the Instrument panel lighting harness. The connector on the reducer is somewhat of a "T" shape essentially. All wires pass straight through the "T" except the negative. It runs down to the reducer and back up.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #9
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Dave thats exactly what i found when i traced the wires out! You get to sit at the head of the class

Thanks for everything
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car