lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2019, 12:49 AM   #1
redtide361
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 07 ezgo mpt e1000 48v

Hey guy's I have a question how bad is it if some one ran newer batteries until there was next to no water in them? And is there a away they may work if I fill em and charge up them in pairs at 12v. When I got the cart I didnt check voltage I cleaned it and opened batteries and saw no fluid so I go distilled water and topped them off I didnt do anything else checked the pack 12 hours later and had 11.6 volts total. Any thoughts?
redtide361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 07 ezgo mpt e1000 48v

Ouch!

It is too late now, but for future reference, never top off batteries unless they are fully charged. If the plates are exposed, add just enough distilled water to cover plates by about 1/8" and top off after charging.

The electrolyte expands during charging, so a battery that has been topped off when discharged or partially discharged will run over while charging, loosing part of the acid portion of the electrolyte.

About the only thing to be done once the batteries have been topped off while they are discharged, is to remove (and save) the electrolyte from each cell until the level is just above the plates and then use the saved electrolyte to top off the cells after charging. Continue using the saved electrolyte until it is gone and then go to distilled water.

----------------

The batteries have been damaged, but they might still have some life left in them. Charge them in pairs until their voltage is high enough to turn on the cart charger. Do two or three back to back charges per day on them over the next few weeks and they might be usable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:25 AM   #3
redtide361
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Man I filled them to about a 1/4 inch below the bottom of the lip of the battery cell opening. Now after doing my 12v charging I got it enough juice to get the charger to kick in. I had around 50v after the 1st true charge with 48v charger I checked it 12 hrs later and it had 48.7 with is low. I drove it about 4 miles hauling butt and once the night hit turned on headlights and it started dropping power a half mile later I was and a walking pace once I got back home and now had 45.4 volts so I hooked it up to charger again will charge over night about 7 - 8 hours and see how it is after work
Also only one battery was full enough to leak a little out after a 8 hr charging. I'll keep yall updated with the saga of the dry interstate batteries
Old 11-26-2019, 12:30 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Don't run them down like that. That's hard on them too. Keep charging.

Like JB said. Do back to back charges.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
redtide361
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well day 9 of the interstate battery saga. I charged all night again disconnected in the morning it was still on never cut off. Left for work got home 12hrs later same as before this time there was still 54.2 volts 12 hrs after I removed charger over 4 volts from yesterday it was dark so I cruised it about 1-2 miles with lights and taillights on and came home. Had 48.7 v which thanks to my buggy buds and research I know is low. I didnt know that I was screwing up by running it during the Frankenstein batteries rebirth. Should I do a series of short charges or should I leave it in while at work? Tha is for all info. And I really blew it on my stupid thread post. I wish I could change it into just about the batteries and not the cart. However this cart is mint and super cool !

Tags
batteries 48v, battery, mpt, pds
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO