lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
animal1x
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 TXT steering rebuild help

I ordered this steering rebuild kit so I could replace the rack and pinion on my 2000 TXT buggy:

https://www.buggiesunlimited.com/product.asp?sku=5664

In the diagram below, from my service and repair manual, part number 37 was not on the shaft when I disassembled the steering column and shaft. It did come with the rebuild kit and I realize that the kit I bought fits several years, i.e. '94-'2000, and some parts are there for some years that may not fit other years. But...repair and service manual shows this part being assembled to the shaft, it DID come with the kit. Diagram also shows no snap ring to retain it as it does for retaining the bearing on the pinion gear.

When i assembled the kit to the steering shaft, the part in question does fit on the pinion above the bearing as diagram shows, there is room for it, but there is no snap ring to retain it and neither is there a grove anywhere on the pinion gear or shaft for a snap ring or retainer ring. It just sits there free floating.

And as I pointed out above, there is no snap ring on the diagram either.

Soooo...

Question is, does this part, 37 on the diagram, actually go on this year EZGO TXT?...2000 TXT, PDS drive system, and frame mounted steering. If it does, does it just sit there free floating?

2000TXTSteering.jpg
animal1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 steering help

First things first, 2000 was a "transition year" for Ezgo steering and frame components....

The diagram you show is for an "early style..1994-2000" steering box..
This box is easily identified by having 3 bolts in a triangle securing the base of the steering column to the floor of the cart.

The "later style mid 2000-up" box is secured to the floor by 4 bolts in a square.

Check your cart to see exactly which style you have..I suspect you have a kit for one while your cart is the "other"..

Let us know,
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:37 AM   #3
animal1x
Not Yet Wild

Early 2000, frame mounted steering, 3 bolt pattern. Diagram I posted shows correct steering assembly for my machine.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #4
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have my rack and pinion steering box laying around in the garage and looks just like this one. I do not remember (been a few years) what I encountered when I replaced mine but if the diagram shows it then it should be there. It does not look like it floats, more of a spacer it appears
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I have not done one of these for a good few years now, but if memory serves me right, it just sits there to align the shaft a bit. Your diagram is the same as all of mine, so assemble it as shown. Maybe someone in the past forgot to put it back when reassembling. I am pretty sure that when you pull the steering column out after removing the three bolts, it comes away with it still on the column. That may help you to figure it out.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
animal1x
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all for the replies and help folks. I called an EZGO dealer and talked to their service manager. He got his books out, followed along with me as I went through what I had, and pretty much told me the same as you all did. It is more or less a spacer, it just sits there on the top and helps align the shaft some. I also called Textron but they wouldn't give me any advice due to liability issues but they did give me the phone number to the same EZGO dealer and service manager I had already called.

So, seeing as I had already assembled it to the shaft like the repair manual shows, it looks like it will end up staying there unless I have some re-assembly issues where the shaft won't seat all the way or some other such nonsense, LOL. Can't forget about Mr. Murphy ya know!

Now just waiting on a couple of more parts to get here and we'll see about putting the entire front end back together. (I gotta' stay out of the woods and the deer blinds long enough to put the stuff together though)

Anyway, thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO