lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
Tsteak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO TXT Super Cart project

I recently acquired a 2002 Western 400, which is built on the TXT chassis. It was not used very much and is in excellent condition. I installed new batteries, and it runs well. It's a 48v system with a 370 amp controller, and get's 24 mph on a flat road.

I'm very lucky to have this cart, but I'm not happy. I'm a bit of a speed freak, and it's just not fast enough. I'd like to push 40+mph, and get a 30 mile range on a single charge. I believe this would mean converting to Lithium and perhaps AC/drive.

Is this possible?? Would I need to build a more robust suspension for those speeds? I plan on getting 14" wheels regardless of the direction the build goes.

What do you guys think?
Tsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
Tsteak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT Super Cart project

I've been educating myself (Alltrax has some awesome literature on their website.) I think I'm going to stick with DC as I like the idea of being able to program the Alltrax controller myself, and it seems like I'd get similar results. So far I'm looking at the following:

Alltrax SR48600 Controller
Advanced AMD 7126 High Speed motor
SOL600 Contactor
Heavy Duty Forward/Reverse switch
1/0 awg cables
400amp fuse at batteries

on evdrives.com this will all cost around $1800.

The motor is rated at 6.1hp, 5330rpm at 36v. I'm not sure the numbers on my 48v system, but I'm not sure what kind of speed I can get out of it. My current motor gives me 24mph at 4hp, 4400rpm at 36v with a 370 amp controller.

I'm hoping for big things out of this setup, does anyone have experience with this motor?

Also, I need to maximize the range of the cart. I'm hoping changing to Lithium will provide a huge range... Does it??

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-24-2020, 10:31 PM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I’m anxiously waiting for one of the experts to get on this thread. Johnnieb in particular is very good at doing the math to tell you what rpm you’ll need to get to 40 mph. The actual diameter of the tire matters, so you need to know more than just the 14” wheel.

I don’t know what size pack you’re going to need to go 30 miles at that kind of speed, but a 14 module lithium leaf pack is probably going to be your best bet.

There are some people angling around this forum that have some really fast carts. YouTube plum quick. They build high speed electric motors. Just be aware that 40 mph is pretty crazy in a golf cart designed to go 12 mph. I have a 2001 txt with a lithium pack I charge to 58v and run an emp custom motor. It’ll go over 30, but I very rarely hit that speed. The cart just isn’t very safe at that speed.

Good luck, I’ll be following.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
Tsteak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

orangeman6,

I hear that! I have a friend with an A/C drive cart that will do 35mph, and it is incredibly scary.

I will have a switch for street mode and golf mode limited to 25mph or so. -Faster than that, even on a fairway, is insane on the suspensions built into these carts and I don't want to have to worry about someone else driving the cart too fast out there...

I'm currently looking into replacing the steering linkage with one designed for an ATV or side by side designed for faster speeds, but haven't found anything definitive on this yet; I'm not sure if it will help make higher speed more comfortable, or that it's even an option, but I know that at 35 in a cart it feels like a little flick of the wrist would be terminal...

Thanks for following along, and for the help!
Old 02-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #5
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsteak View Post
orangeman6,

I hear that! I have a friend with an A/C drive cart that will do 35mph, and it is incredibly scary.

I will have a switch for street mode and golf mode limited to 25mph or so. -Faster than that, even on a fairway, is insane on the suspensions built into these carts and I don't want to have to worry about someone else driving the cart too fast out there...

I'm currently looking into replacing the steering linkage with one designed for an ATV or side by side designed for faster speeds, but haven't found anything definitive on this yet; I'm not sure if it will help make higher speed more comfortable, or that it's even an option, but I know that at 35 in a cart it feels like a little flick of the wrist would be terminal...

Thanks for following along, and for the help!
the Jake's arm lift kit makes a huge difference in how it handles
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Change the gears to 8:1 Put oversized tires on it and get a torque/speed motor and an Alltrax controller. I am going to change to the 8:1 gears on my cart next week. My cart currently does 28mph with the stock motor an Alltrax 48400 controller and Chevy Volt batteries. My tires are 20 inches tall. I used to do 34mph with an Admiral MOT-B2 but I burnt that up in 5 months. This is why I am changing gears to lower the rpm's on the motor and get back to 35mph. I play golf 4 days a week and drive my cart 9 miles round trip to the course. I have gone well over 30 miles on a single charge and still had 25% left on the batteries. Check out my build thread.
Riso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Get a life insurance policy for your family
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #8
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

And front disc brakes
Riso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Tsteak…..I run the motor you are wanting to run.....Mine will get to 30 mph all day. HOWEVER I am running 23" tires and 48V. For you to get to 40 mph, SAFELY, you will need to run a shorter tire for safety reasons, as you do NOT to be lifted running that fast. and for you to be able to run that motor (or any other golf cart motor) with a STOCK differential ratio 40mph...not going to happen without the motor blowing up...but what you can do is the put in a new gear set, such as a 8:1 which will lower the rpms of the motor for the same speed. but a side effect would be it would be a bit slower on take off.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
Tsteak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Get a life insurance policy for your family
Haha, no doubt!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO