lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #1
2015EZGOTXT
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation EZGO TXT - Whining, Smoking Resistor??

Hey guys new to the forum, I was needing some help please, here is the backstory. I bought my cart recently (2015 EZGO TXT 48V aftermarket tire and wheels and slight lift) and it made a terrible whining noise and it sounded like it was coming from the rear end so I replaced the rear diff fluid and still continued to whine while going down the road, so after googling somebody stated they had the same problem and they took the electric motor off and cleaned the coils and fixed the whine, so I did that and cleaned the coils in the motor with heavy duty electrical cleaner and let it dry for about 5-10 minutes and put motor back on and wired everything correctly, put the cart in reverse and it went for about 20 yards and I put it in forward and I heard a pooof in the rear end and now it will not do anything, I was sitting there thinking about it and the resistor on the solenoid started smoking and I disconnected the battery from the solenoid, Please help Im not sure where to even start.
2015EZGOTXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT - Whining, Smoking Resistor??

When the precharge resistor between the solenoid's large terminals smokes, it means the controller is drawing a lot of amps with the solenoid's contacts open.

If you didn't have the pedal pushed when it started smoking, it likely means the MOSFETs in the controller are shorted.

Read the label on the "heavy duty electrical cleaner" and see if it is safe to use on plastics such as Polyester-imide. Some of the stronger electrical cleaners can attack the insulation on the wiring used to make the field and armature windings.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
2015EZGOTXT
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO TXT - Whining, Smoking Resistor??

I read that on the bottle, and I had a guy come and check the cart out yesterday and he stated that I needed a new controller, he stated that since I have it in maintenance mode that it shouldn't be getting that much power to the solenoid and he said its like the controller didn't reset when we take away power and then add it back.
2015EZGOTXT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, resistor, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO