lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
smuponies
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default How many accessories are too many?

I know the answer is all about Amps. I've been reading, Scotty.

But, I'm wondering if I can figure out the true amperage each one of my accessories is pulling? I have a multimeter that apparently reads amps, but I have no idea how to use it. I've read that it has to be in series with the circuit, but when I unplug a wire to an accessory that is on and connect leads up from multimeter, I get butkus. Am I doing it wrong?

Here are my accessories
Headlight bar. It has 2 37.5W bulbs, so I assume that is pulling 75/12V or ~6.25A
MP3 player. I have no idea how many amps this amplifier pulls. Does it depend on how loud the music is?
Cigarette Lighter. No clue how much this pulls. I guess it depends on what is plugged into it.

I'm wondering if I can listen to loud music, at night (with headlight on), while lighting my cigarette? Or, will my voltage reducer (25A, I believe) start smoking instead?
smuponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: How many accessories are too many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuponies View Post
I know the answer is all about Amps. I've been reading, Scotty.

But, I'm wondering if I can figure out the true amperage each one of my accessories is pulling? I have a multimeter that apparently reads amps, but I have no idea how to use it. I've read that it has to be in series with the circuit, but when I unplug a wire to an accessory that is on and connect leads up from multimeter, I get butkus. Am I doing it wrong?

Here are my accessories
Headlight bar. It has 2 37.5W bulbs, so I assume that is pulling 75/12V or ~6.25A
MP3 player. I have no idea how many amps this amplifier pulls. Does it depend on how loud the music is?
Cigarette Lighter. No clue how much this pulls. I guess it depends on what is plugged into it.

I'm wondering if I can listen to loud music, at night (with headlight on), while lighting my cigarette? Or, will my voltage reducer (25A, I believe) start smoking instead?
Your meter should have a selection for dc amps and may have different connection points for that. Make sure it can handle the load first. To check a device, basically break the wire in two and put the meter in the middle. If you get nada, you may have blown the fuse in the meter. They are usually in the battery compartment.

As for loads, big bulbs and stereo/amps are the drainers. Your 6 amps for the HLs is close enough and for the most part, yes amps do pull more power based on volume. A newer typical 20 wt per channel amp in a cd head unit is close to 10-15amps so you get the picture. For the stuff you use the most, run from the converter. Cig plug just pull from two batts
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO