lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
rmac
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Red face troubleshooting controller/soloidnoid

I crossed the positive and negative wiring from the 36v battery pack to the controller box. now the cart won't run. Inside the cover, there is a solonoid and a controller. Can some one tell me how to determine which component is bad?The cart is an EZ GO textron Mfg.no.06m95, s/n 917315. Also, what does pds,dcs,and series indicate?
rmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Default Re: troubleshooting controller/soloidnoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac View Post
I crossed the positive and negative wiring from the 36v battery pack to the controller box. now the cart won't run. Inside the cover, there is a solonoid and a controller. Can some one tell me how to determine which component is bad?The cart is an EZ GO textron Mfg.no.06m95, s/n 917315. Also, what does pds,dcs,and series indicate?
Didn't you start another thread with this same topic?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...er-wiring.html

Anyways, it's never good when you reverse the supply voltage to an electronic device. It usually doesn't survive. The click you mentioned in the other thread is coming from the solenoid??? If so it at least indicated partial functionality of the controller. You really need to invest in a multimeter at a minimum to troubleshoot cart problems (you mentioned not having anything that would test beyond 12v in your other thread).

Do you have a RUN/TOW switch on the controller cover?
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
rmac
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

yes,it has A run/tow switch
Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
yes,it has A run/tow switch
Then your cart is a PDS. Is the clicking you hear from the solenoid?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
rmac
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

yes the solonoid clicks when I switch from foward or reverse and press the throttle
Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
yes the solonoid clicks when I switch from foward or reverse and press the throttle
Well, now it's time to get that meter......You need to do some probing. Can you read a schematic?

Here's a schematic of an EZ-GO PDS system. You need to verify that there's 36 volts on the large post that goes from the battery pack to the solenoid, and that there is the same on the other large post (going to the motor) when the throttle is pushed. Please not that there's going to be some voltage there when the throttle is not pushed but much less than 36 volts (voltage via the 250 resistor). You are looking for 36 volts on both sides of the solenoid with the solenoid engaged.

THE REAR OF THE CART SHOULD BE ON STANDS TO DO THESE TESTS OR YOU COULD GET HURT!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDS_WIRING.pdf (60.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
rmac
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The meter I have only reads up to 12v.I will see if I can find A meter locally, and get back to you.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
rmac
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought A meter and checked volts and have 36 volts to both sides of the solonoid,but I don't have to press the throttle. I read 36 volts on both sides of main lugs of solonoid without doing anything. I downloaded the schematic. Every thing on my cart appears to be just like the diagram, only my controller has just one "J' connection.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I bought A meter and checked volts and have 36 volts to both sides of the solonoid,but I don't have to press the throttle. I read 36 volts on both sides of main lugs of solonoid without doing anything. I downloaded the schematic. Every thing on my cart appears to be just like the diagram, only my controller has just one "J' connection.
BTW, what the voltage is on the output of the solenoid (input to motor without the gas applied (solenoid off, Fwd/Rvs switch in FWD and ign ON). It won't be 0 volts but also will not be a full 36 volts either.....

Did you place the cart on stands?

If so, you can use a jumper cable or other heavy amp cable and while someone push's the gas you can connect the cable from A1 to B-. If the wheels spin then your controller is likely toasted.......
Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think the cart may be a DCS ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO