lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
mobilefleet
Not Yet Wild

Default ***1999 Club Car won't move, batteries good just clicks

Might just be coincidence but just finished 6" lift kit install. Batteries 4 months old and all show 8.68 volts. I know about the possibility that wires were stretched and can come loose, but nothing is disconnected. 48 volt cart. With key on solenoid clicks in both forward and reverse, tired to jump across it but still does not move. The cart has been kind of jerky for a few months when put in forward or reverse and will give you whiplash if you don't feather the pedal when you first start to move... I don't know a lot about electric carts but from what I read online maybe the controller is bad? Is that the silver box right next to the solenoid? How do I test it? I have also heard that replacing it with a "non-regen" controller is better (whatever that means). Any help appreciated
mobilefleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
mobilefleet
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: ***1999 Club Car won't move, batteries good just clicks

bump- any ideas guys? I also tested motor today with a jump pack, wheels turn (although just one, other one spins slowly but I suspect that's a limited slip differential combined with a 12v jump pack instead of putting 48 volts to it). How do I test the on board computer?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if its a reagan cart that you need a reagan controller.......are you sure you didn,t rip a cable off anywhere? from motor or controller? have you grabbed puleed cables to make sure.......if cart ran before lift...........did you disconnect main power before working on it??............what coler is controller? and does it have that like 26 pin plug on it?.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
mobilefleet
Not Yet Wild

looks like it is a series cart, has 3.1 hp motor and stock 225 amp controller which is silver color. I read on another thread that if reverse buzzer sounds when put in reverse it is not an onboard computer problem.....I tested controller output per another website I found and it's 32 volts, supposed to be 48 (without accelerator pedal down). Then it says it should be full voltage with pedal pressed down, and it shows 51 volts when I do that. No movement at all from rear tires when I reconnect white motor wire to motor after doing controller test. But motor moves and I get tire spin when tested on cart with a 12 volt jumpbox. Resistor on solenoid measures 240 ohms, within spec, and jumping across solenoid does nothing. Looks like a bad controller unless I am missing something, although even at 32 volts I would think it still should make some sort of movement......
Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
charman
Not Yet Wild

75% chance it is your F/R switch. Take it apart, I bet it's melted and not making good contact.
charman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
mobilefleet
Not Yet Wild

I upgraded controller to 300V Alltrax and replaced f/r switch with new one that is heavy duty. Still no go. Cart clicks but won't move. f/r switch came with new microswithces on it but the outermost one only had two tabs and my old one had three so now it has a white wire not being used. Don't know if that affects it but I am aggravated with this and need to get the cart going. Any ideas? Thinking maybe the micro inside the potentiometer
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Jack one wheel up off of the floor and put your test leads on the controller M- and B- leads. When the solenoid clicks you should show full battery pack voltage on the meter & as the peddle is depressed that reading should go down. This test shows that the controller is getting power and sending it to the motor.

I would have suggested a bigger replacement controller. 300 amps is basically a stock controller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
mobilefleet
Not Yet Wild

did as you suggested, full voltage upon click but does not change when pedal goes to floor. Alltrax controller flashes one red which apparently means open circuit. I had full voltage at small terminals of solenoid but nothing at large terminals with key on and pedal activated. I jumped across two large posts with key on and pedal activated and it still does nothing. I'm leaning toward bad solenoid, although you would think that jumping it would have made cart move if it was bad......not sure. Possibly open circuit inside from small to large terminals? I also don't know if the white wire on my microswitch not being used on the new f/r switch will affect anything.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car