lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2015, 12:50 AM   #1
chuckb67
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Spring Color Meaning

I have a 2008 YDRA and installed a new primary clutch and bought a spring for the secondary clutch that is supposed to improve performance. I have stock 8 inch wheels.

When I took the secondary clutch off the cart I noticed that the existing spring color was purple. The new one is yellow. I replaced the existing TEAM clutch with the newer Yamaha clutch and it seems to work perfectly and all the noise from the old clutch is gone.

From what I have been able to determine, the purple spring is stronger than a yellow spring by about 50 pounds.

If this is true, it seems to me that the yellow spring will allow the secondary to open more quickly making the cart faster at the expense of torque. Is this correct?

I only use my cart on the golf course and am not interested in speeding things up. I just want adequate power for medium hills and 10-12 MPH.

Can someone fill me in on the spring color and what it means as far as cart performance?

Thanks
chuckb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Spring Color Meaning

I might be able to, where did you get the spring, or did it come preinstalled? The team clutch spring might not compare "apples-to-apples" with the FBT clutch spring. Did you get a different style clutch?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

If your talking about the old "Team" secondary clutch, the purple spring is "softer" then the yellow spring.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My refurbished cart came with the new FTB drive clutch installed and a used TEAM driven clutch with the purple factory spring installed. With a 6” spindle lift and 23” tires, I installed the yellow spring from Jake’s in the team clutch Item# 6222. The torque was great and I gained a more constant speed going up hills. Because the used TEAM driven clutch was worn so badly it was no longer linier and couldn’t be properly machined. Wanting to have the belt to be able to easily go all the way down to the bottom of the driven sheave for high gear, I ordered what I thought was going to be a new team driven clutch. What I got instead was the new FTB clutch. What I found out was I could install the yellow spring from the TEAM setup into the new FTB clutch. With the two FTB clutches installed I had to use the J55 belt which is 1-1/4” wide and shorter than the JW1 belt. The outcome was I still had good torque and speed going up hills. The speed before the clutch and belt change was 22mph and remained so after. Now I have new matching clutches and belt, so I can concentrate on other things to gain performance.
Robert
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
chuckb67
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the help.

When I went to the new clutch I also changed to the newer Yamaha belt that is shorter and wider. (did not mention this is original post)

It seems that the belt has trouble getting to the top of the clutch and installing the yellow should help with that.

I bought the yellow spring from Franklin and will install it in the driven clutch before I go out to play again. Glad to hear the yellow is stiffer.

Thanks!
chuckb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
Diceman1530
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

the degree of the helix also plays a role in the secondary in how fast it shifts
Diceman1530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

I am under the impression that you are not supposed to be mixing FBT and Team primary and secondary clutches. Oh well, if it works for you, and doesnt eat belts.....
Old 01-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

have been watching this post;; was now wondering about my spring,in rear, i have a new clutch, it was put in before i got the cart,, it looks new, the spring is black, does that mean anything??
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
nota
Gone Wild
Yamaha

what does softer mean for flatland street driving
fast or slower acceleration from a stop ?

I have a g-29 2011 with the team clutches
what is the best spring colors for fast starts and smooth running on the street
with 13'' wheels and 23'' tyres ?
nota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Softer spring will "come in" faster. Keeps rpm lower while accelerating, but hurts climbing/acceleration performance.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha