lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
wildman1
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1

I have a 1984 G1 that is getting to where it doesn't run as well as it has in the past and is harder to get started. I like to keep things as original as possible but would I be better off to rebuild this engine or replace with something else. It is definitely a work horse.
wildman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman1 View Post
I have a 1984 G1 that is getting to where it doesn't run as well as it has in the past and is harder to get started. I like to keep things as original as possible but would I be better off to rebuild this engine or replace with something else. It is definitely a work horse.
You would be better off with a rebuild. The G1 is a two stroke and replacing the engine with a four stroke would involve a lot of custom work. Rebuild it......parts are dirt cheap.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

It's probably the crank seals, but it's a pretty easy engine to rebuild. A set of rings, gaskets, and seals will help it last a bit longer. I'd recommend getting a repair manual first and reading through the rebuild procedures before you start. You'll also get lots of help here!

Replacing with another engine? or another cart? Either way will be costly. Rebuilding will be less. If you like the cart and it does what you need it to do, I'd rebuild it and keep it going. You're talking $1000 for an engine swap, and prob $2000 for a good used cart. The rebuild will prob cost you $200 or less if you don't need any engine parts like the piston, jug, crank and bearings. If you do need engine parts, you'll be in the $700-$800 range for a complete rebuild.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
ewbldavis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

x2 On the crank seals. Made a night/day difference with our G1.
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
wildman1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback, where is the best place to buy rebuild parts and get a manual?
wildman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Check the sponsors page.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Might check the compression (at wide open throttle) also. All G1's except for 1985 (J17) good-120 lbs, minimum 100 lbs. J17- good 110 lbs, minumum 90 lbs. Good luck.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha