lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
honkeytonk_man
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 vs G2 chassis

New to carts and the Forum. I have been enjoying reading up here. I searched and searched but couldn't find a definitive answer:

Does anyone know If the G1 and G2 chassis/engine compartments are the same size? I have been looking at the G2 predator v-twin swaps and would love to do a similar swap on my g1. I see lots of 420 swaps on g1's but haven't been able to find a g1 with a predator 670 v-twin. If engine compartment/chassis dimensions are close I want to give it a try!
honkeytonk_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 vs G2 chassis

You put any 4 stroke in and you have no reverse unless you use a transaxle from somewhere else.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

raydhd is right about no reverse. The G1 runs the engine forward and backward to get forward and reverse. As far as what power plant you install in your cart that depends more on your abilities and how much you want to spend more than anything else. I installed a diesel and G2 rear end in mine.
decide what you want to do and go for it and don't forget to post lots of photos of your project .
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The G2 has a wider more open engine compartment than the G1. I installed a 25hp Kawasaki V-twin in the G1 and had too cut the frame on the drivers side and box it in with extra support.

I have a G2 I'm building next and it seems the engine compartment is much wider. Then you have the difference in the rear differentials. As said the G1 rear only has a forward gear while the G2 has both forward and reverse.

If you can find one, I'd go with the G2 for an engine transplant.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:55 AM   #5
honkeytonk_man
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies...I impulse bought a tricked out g1 and am now considering a swap. Im aware of the limitations of the G1 rear axle and am looking for either a g2 or g9 axle as a replacement for the rear. Ive seen predator v-twins swapped into g2's I was just wondering if a similar swap was doable on a g1. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2015, 04:20 AM   #6
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It is a good swap on the G1 other than having to change the rear end. If you do the rear swap, here are a few things you should know.

If you use the G2 axles with the swap they will not be a direct bolt in. The mounting pads are off a bit. But you can use the axles and tubes off the G1 rear end. This will have your driven pulley too close to the swing arm tube though and you'll have to make changes there. You can do 3 things I know of to remedy this. 1) dent the swing arm for clearance. (This is my least desirable fix) 2) Put spacers between the mounting pads on the axle tubes and the mounting pads on the swing arm. 3) When you install the G1 axle tubes on the G2 rear differential just rotate the tubes forward one hole from the way they would normally mount. This will actually raise the driven clutch and give you a bit more clearance when going across deeper water and mud. I did this on my G1 with the 25hp. It changes the placement of the fill and check plug on the rear differential but hasn't caused me any issues other than that and I've probably put 50 miles on the cart since I did my engine swap. One other thing. When I did my rear swap it moved the driven clutch to the left a little more and caused me some clearance issues on the drive clutch. Of course I am also running a larger one too. I had to cut my frame and box it for clearance on mine. But if using the smaller drive clutch you can probably get away with a bit of "Heating and Beating" to get the clearance. That's what I did when I built my lift kit with the original engine.

But, since your cart is running it gives you time to search and obtain all the parts for the swap while still enjoying your cart. And since the engine is apparently good in your cart, you can then sell all the parts you remove when you eventually do the swap. (If you do that is)
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

IMHO If the G1 is running, pretty it up sell it and find a more suitable swap cart.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
IMHO If the G1 is running, pretty it up sell it and find a more suitable swap cart.
That sums it up. The G1 is a great cart if you want to use the stock motor. If you're looking to do a big block swap then it should be a last resort. My G1 has a V-twin in it with a G2 rear end swap and I can tell you it was a lot of work to do the full conversion. I wouldn't want to big block another one.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:48 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I agree. You might have more time/money in the swap for the G1 than if you sold it and started with a good G2/G9 cart. Plus you'll have more room for the engine.

But....I was once a stubborn goat and didn't listen to the wise guys here....so I ended up modding the G1. It definitely was NOT a mistake....don't get me wrong. BUT....in hindsight it would have been easier and cheaper to start with a 4 stroke cart with reverse.

Another thing....the G2/G9 carts have more aftermarket support for suspension, lights, roll bars, etc. Just sayin.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
honkeytonk_man
Not Yet Wild

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies. The information on how to swap in a G2 rear is especially helpful. The cart I picked up is pretty sweet the way it is so I will just enjoy it for now and keep my eyes open for a g2 rear. I enjoy fabrication so if I can find the right parts I will make a swap happen. thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha