lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Conundrum - G1 Clutch

Lately I have been noticing that my clutch is engaging at very low RPM (700-800). The manual states that it should start to tighten the primary sheave at around 1,400 RPM.

After disassembling the clutch to check the specs, I measured the primary spring and it is right at the 83mm in length that the SECONDARY sheave spring should be. It is nowhere close to the 118 mmm that the manual says it should be. Spring and G1 Service Manual shown below.

Is the manual right, or did the spring "free lengths" get transposed? The heavy duty secondary sheave spring will definitely NOT work on the Primary assembly.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Ogre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G1 Manual.jpg (135.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0991.jpg (85.1 KB, 0 views)
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Conundrum - G1 Clutch

OK, I'll try the question a different way.

Have any of you G1 (original primary and secondary sheaves) owners recently done any work on your primary clutch? Or do any of you G1 owners have any spare parts, consisting of a primary clutch spring?

What is the "free length" of the spring?

The difference between 83mm and 119mm is almost an inch and a half. That would make a significant difference in the amount of RPM slinging the weights to get the primary moving sheave to close. Not to mention the amount of force to press in and reinstall the circlip.

Any ideas guys?

Ogre
Old 09-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sorry, I can't be of any help. I'm of the "It works or it doesn't!" league. I don't know squat about clutches.

Just thought I'd let you know we are reading your post.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post
Just thought I'd let you know we are reading your post.
Thanks, Steve. I thought, after 20 looks and no reply, I had muddied the water a little too much with the manual, spring length, etc. All I was wondering was did the PO(s) change the spring, or is it the right one.

Always good to hear from someone, even if it is .

Since the manual seems to be waaay off, I hope somebody can help me with the correct "free length" of the spring. I was considering some way to add "spacer(s)" to compress the spring, but that will also change the spring rate, and the compressed length, which could affect the top end speed.

Not sure which way to go until I can determine the correct spring size.

Ogre
Old 09-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

So did you disassemble the primary clutch and measure the spring? If so, then the spring needs replaced. Good luck finding one, they are no longer in production. Most people will stretch them out and that usually takes care of it for a while, and this is what I did, seemed to work fine. I don't have the G1 parts any more, so I can't measure it to see how it compares. You could place a call to Don Plowman, he's the Yamaha expert. He'll have an answer for you. He can rebuild your clutches for you also.

Have you checked the secondary clutch spring? Maybe the previous owner swapped them unintentionally?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
So did you disassemble the primary clutch and measure the spring? If so, then the spring needs replaced. Good luck finding one, they are no longer in production. Most people will stretch them out and that usually takes care of it for a while, and this is what I did, seemed to work fine. I don't have the G1 parts any more, so I can't measure it to see how it compares. You could place a call to Don Plowman, he's the Yamaha expert. He'll have an answer for you. He can rebuild your clutches for you also.

Have you checked the secondary clutch spring? Maybe the previous owner swapped them unintentionally?
Last question first ... swapping would seem to be impossible. The wire used to construct the primary spring is approx. 2mm in width (see pic below) and the wire used to construct the secondary spring (see my previously broken secondary below) appears to be somewhat larger ... maybe 4-5 mm in width. I don't think that would work for primary. Most likely would never get it compressed. Also, they appear to have different outer diameters, so I'm not sure I could get the secondary spring in the primary sheave. Also, the Yamaha G! parts catalogue shows two unique part numbers for the primary and secondary springs.

First question ... yep, reassembled it with a spacer about 3mm in length, and clutch engages smoother. Lot's of spring manufacturers on-line who can build an order by specs. A little pricey, so maybe go with my original idea ... use spacer(s) to compress it a little more, to see what I get.

I'll call Don tomorrow. If he rebuilds G1 clutches, maybe he has a source for correct springs. From all of the write-ups I've seen on here, I'm sure Don will have ALL of my answers, and most likely a solution. Just thought I'd check out the G1ers here first.

Thanks Slo,
Ogre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0986.jpg (127.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0946.jpg (138.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The length of the spring will dictate the engagement rpm, the strength will change shift rpm and depending it can change the rate of shift making rpm climb or drop as it shifts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha