lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
hotrodharley
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Cool Rebuilder for G1

I have a G1 that I tow my AA/FUEL ALTERED drag car with..I Cary 4 crew members plus a t0 lb Bart pack and 21st lb aircraft starter,..would like to have more power but don't have the money or time to convert to bigger eng plus I need reverse...is there anyone on here that can send eng to and have it rebuilt and modified to get max power out of it,
hotrodharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Rebuilder for G1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodharley View Post
I have a G1 that I tow my AA/FUEL ALTERED drag car with..I Cary 4 crew members plus a t0 lb Bart pack and 21st lb aircraft starter,..would like to have more power but don't have the money or time to convert to bigger eng plus I need reverse...is there anyone on here that can send eng to and have it rebuilt and modified to get max power out of it,
Give Don a call at Plowman's Carts he may be able to help you with that.
>>> http://www.plowmanscarts.com/

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Give Don a call at Plowman's Carts he may be able to help you with that.
>>> http://www.plowmanscarts.com/
I would call Don and ask about a cut secondary sheave for more low end. Good idea Ron
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Sending the engine out to have it rebuilt and modified for more power will likely cost you more than upgrading to a clone engine. Look to Vegas Carts for a clone engine kit. Or you can get an engine from Harbor Freight and use the cradle and starter gen kit from Vegas Carts. Either way the clone engine will have the power you are after. The stock engine, in my opinion, is very limited for pulling power and is not investing the money for mods and rebuilds unless you do it yourself. A complete crank up rebuild for a G1 engine will be in the neighborhood of $600, maybe more. Plus, doing this will lose reverse.

Yes you can enhance the pulling power with a clutch upgrade, but that is only going to go so far. For normal around the yard/trail use it will help quite a bit. As soon as you start pulling something....that's a different story. Not saying it can't do the job.....just saying it's pushing the limits and will be working very hard to do it.

I've done the following to my G1:

1. Stock engine rebuild
2. Stock engine with Plowman's clutch kit
3. Modified stock engine (Enticer 250 top end)
3. Clone engine swap
4. Modified/built clone engine
5. Vanguard engine swap

What I can tell you is that there is no replacement for a larger, better engineered engine. The stock engine was never made for pulling implements or vehicles, and neither was the clutching or drivetrain.

You might get away with clutching mods, but that's going to cost you in the $200-300 range. That doesn't give you more power, but keeps the engine in a higher rpm range to help with torque output under a load. It might get you by, but it's not like adding power....not even close.

A 4 stroke engine has a different power output than the G1's 2 stroke. Just a change in golf cart would give you more pulling power at a lower rpm. Maybe sell the G1 and get a G2? Or a EZGO TXT? Those carts will pull a small vehicle without much trouble. These carts have a reverse gear, and are better candidates for engine swaps. Also 4 stroke engines can be modified to make more power (head porting, head shaving, carb jetting) for cheap. The G1 2 stroke is not easily modded for more power, and when it is modded it usually involves much higher rpm.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

There was a place that did G1s years back they posted on here, but I forget the name, I think it was a performance place. But I don't know if that would be good for towing. If you want to keep the cart I think I would bore it and piston, cut the head some, make sure the reeds are good and anything else. Make sure the muffler is not plugged, cut it apart and clean it or replace it. Make sure the clutches are working well and you have a new belt on. I would try to get a cut sheave on it, possibly a umax spring. Check the motor mounts. I would try that and see what you get. If your cart is tired it will run significantly better with all that. I had one with a few mods and it ran over 30mph, I could spin all over in wet grass or gravel drives, it even spun the tire on pavement. But I never tried to tow anything with it. That said the G1 has about the same powerband as 4 stroke carts, it will simply rev higher is all.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
There was a place that did G1s years back they posted on here, but I forget the name, I think it was a performance place. But I don't know if that would be good for towing. If you want to keep the cart I think I would bore it and piston, cut the head some, make sure the reeds are good and anything else. Make sure the muffler is not plugged, cut it apart and clean it or replace it. Make sure the clutches are working well and you have a new belt on. I would try to get a cut sheave on it, possibly a umax spring. Check the motor mounts. I would try that and see what you get. If your cart is tired it will run significantly better with all that. I had one with a few mods and it ran over 30mph, I could spin all over in wet grass or gravel drives, it even spun the tire on pavement. But I never tried to tow anything with it. That said the G1 has about the same powerband as 4 stroke carts, it will simply rev higher is all.
Like I said before, if it's a heavy load it won't like it. The 215cc two stroke like to rev in the 3000 rpm and up range. Not saying it won't tow, just saying it's not going to be good at it.

Now, if the load isn't too heavy....and the terrain is flat and smooth....it might do just fine. However, it will not pull like a 4 stroke. The powerband is similar to a 4 stroke, but as soon as you start modding it, it will want to rev. There's no getting more low end pulling power out of the G1 engine.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Sell the G1 and buy some 4 stroke cart.You will far better off at the end of the day.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #8
hotrodharley
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Sending the engine out to have it rebuilt and modified for more power will likely cost you more than upgrading to a clone engine. Look to Vegas Carts for a clone engine kit. Or you can get an engine from Harbor Freight and use the cradle and starter gen kit from Vegas Carts. Either way the clone engine will have the power you are after. The stock engine, in my opinion, is very limited for pulling power and is not investing the money for mods and rebuilds unless you do it yourself. A complete crank up rebuild for a G1 engine will be in the neighborhood of $600, maybe more. Plus, doing this will lose reverse.

Yes you can enhance the pulling power with a clutch upgrade, but that is only going to go so far. For normal around the yard/trail use it will help quite a bit. As soon as you start pulling something....that's a different story. Not saying it can't do the job.....just saying it's pushing the limits and will be working very hard to do it.

I've done the following to my G1:

1. Stock engine rebuild
2. Stock engine with Plowman's clutch kit
3. Modified stock engine (Enticer 250 top end)
3. Clone engine swap
4. Modified/built clone engine
5. Vanguard engine swap

What I can tell you is that there is no replacement for a larger, better engineered engine. The stock engine was never made for pulling implements or vehicles, and neither was the clutching or drivetrain.

You might get away with clutching mods, but that's going to cost you in the $200-300 range. That doesn't give you more power, but keeps the engine in a higher rpm range to help with torque output under a load. It might get you by, but it's not like adding power....not even close.

A 4 stroke engine has a different power output than the G1's 2 stroke. Just a change in golf cart would give you more pulling power at a lower rpm. Maybe sell the G1 and get a G2? Or a EZGO TXT? Those carts will pull a small vehicle without much trouble. These carts have a reverse gear, and are better candidates for engine swaps. Also 4 stroke engines can be modified to make more power (head porting, head shaving, carb jetting) for cheap. The G1 2 stroke is not easily modded for more power, and when it is modded it usually involves much higher rpm.
What engine from harbor freight are you talking about exactly should I get?And you saying I can still keep reversing doing this eng swap..thanks for the information.
hotrodharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #9
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
What engine from harbor freight are you talking about exactly should I get?And you saying I can still keep reversing doing this eng swap..thanks for the information.
He is talking about their 13hp 420cc engine. It's a Honda GX390 clone. With a little bit of work like HD valve springs, advance timing key and a tuned carb from Vegas Carts it will put out some nice power. You will loose reverse with this engine swap, or any other 4 stroke conversion in a G1. A few have swapped out newer rear ends with good success to keep reverse.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I was at a place had a G1 yamahauler. It would just fit two large coolers and one meduim. Full of ice and cans it was a heavy load, plus two adults, it would go up some steep hills slowly but go up them. I know it had a umax type utility spring but I don't think yamaha offers it anymore, but someone here has run the 4 cycle umax think they cut the ends off it. This makes it rev more at lower speeds.

The clone has maybe twice the power to start with. Many have put a G2/G9 whole cradle/trans or trans in a G1 to get reverse. The clone is cheap ($300), the vegas motor is a more powerful beefed version ($600), beyond that is v twins or whatever you find.

If you do what I suggested in previous post you would still have a good running G1 to sell or use for other things, you would not have wasted any money on it. If you rebuild a stock cart you should be able to charge for it because a lot of them are worn out and not worth as much.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha