lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
dcowboys36
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 jerks and slips

My recently purchased 86' G2 jerks randomly while driving on flat ground. When going uphill it will sometimes stop, the belt will slip, then grab and jerk. I noticed the ramp shoes on spring seat are worn off and the metal has begun to wear. I'd like to know if replacing just the spring seat could fix this issue, if I need to replace the secondary clutch, or if its a different issue completely. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
dcowboys36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G2 jerks and slips

Ramp shoes need to be there but I would also inspect and lube both primary and secondary clutches just make sure you use a dry lithium grease (so future dust and dirt doesn't collect)
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

sounds like the rear clutch is all original parts, and badly worn out (i bet it sounds horrible when accelerating or climbing hill). the best fix in my experience is to get the spring seat, spring seat spacer, belt, and sliding sheave for a G16 rear clutch as repair/upgrade parts for it. the "new-style" spring seat has bigger, tougher sliders for the "metal on metal" action you have, the spacer fixes/prevents a common problem of the broken clip behind the spring seat, and the sliding sheave has wider contact points for the spring seat, plus has a grease fitting for future maintenance. what you describe points to the bushing in the sliding sheave being wasted (new one included in the new sliding sheave). the belt is surely toast based on the description of the carts performance. check the front clutch for too much "wobble" when you grab & shake it (not while engine running, please), also remove cover & check for slop/broke-ness in the 3 weights. getting the clutches in shape is the best way to improve performance on any CVT equipped machine. if you are gonna use it for any HD use, get the UMAX spring for the rear clutch while you are at it (best $14 you can spend on a gas yamaha if you ask me. i know your wallet will hate this part, but, yamaha genuine parts are really the best ones. the belt really should be the genuine Yamaha belt at minimum (or better, kevlar from plowmans or g-boost), the cheapo belts are thinner & gonna wear out much faster. some of these things i learned from the wise old guy who trained me, some i learned over the years as a cart tech, some i learned by spending the money on my own carts..... now that i killed your "beer & smokes" money for the next month, what else can we help with?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
dcowboys36
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info! It does have a new yamaha belt on it, that was one of the first things I replaced to try and fix the issue at hand. It will drive good on flat ground for a little while and then it will have a little jerk here, then drive ok, then jerks again. cgtech, I was thinking of buying a heavy duty secondary clutch kit, but you think it would be best to get one thats for a G16? Is there gonna be any problems installing that??
Old 08-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

nope, all the parts fit the same as G2 parts, theyre just a upgraded design. the so-called HD kits on ebay are typically stock-style parts from china, except for the secondary clutch spring, which is a super-heavy spring that wears out parts and often reduces speed. If you are gonna get a "HD kit", only get it from a reputable source, like Plowmans or G-boost. the Umax spring i suggested is the Hd upgrade to do if you are looking to save some dough, not the ebay stuff.....
Old 08-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #6
dcowboys36
Not Yet Wild

Hey cgtech, would i be better off starting with replacing the spring seat and see if that fixes it or should i just pay the money and get the whole secondary clutch kit? Thank you and spicy unicorn for the help, i appreciate it. Im new to carts and am absorbing as much knowledge as i can on how to fix my issues.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

the sliding sheave is likely an equal culprit in the problem. the bushing in the sliding sheave is also likely wasted (included in new sheave). try this tricky test, take the belt off, lock the brakes with cart in gear, twist the inner sliding sheave so its ramps are not touching the spring seat, then push one side towards the transmission. it should not "rock", but the whole sliding sheave should slide evenly toward the transmission.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
dcowboys36
Not Yet Wild

Cgtech, I did what you said and it slid smoothly, although it was a little tough to push towards the transmission. I just ordered a new spring seat, an upgraded one. Do i need to buy or make a clutch pulling tool for this? I appreciate all your help, thanks a lot!
Old 08-13-2016, 11:28 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

the new style spring seat might not line up with the old sheave if the old sheave was an early one without a grease fitting. a tool can be made for pulling the outer sheave pretty easily if ya got a welder. the two threaded holes on the fixed sheave are metric, Not 1/4"-20... another great tip for ya, the whole rear body can be very easily removed, which gives much better access to rear clutch. at the rear edge of the mat in the golf bag well you will find 2 phillips screws. at the front edge of the rear body, where the rear of the seat rests, you will find 3 more fastners. after that, the whole rear body just lifts off.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
dcowboys36
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so i'm probably better off buying the whole secondary clutch. I was really hoping I could get by without doing that. Thanks for the knowledge cgtech, I may need more help from ya down the road.

Tags
jerks, slips, uphill
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha