lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Default Re: 96 g16 any advise on weather to buy a clone motor or do add ons to stock?

The Yamaha golf engines are badass and not that bad on power but have a problem with ignition, it's what $160 bucks? Mine in currently running about half power but I'm planning on changing to a Arduino ignition or something else.

With the exception of charging power(if no starter gen), long term reliability(if you maybe get a junk clone), and noise the clones beat out the stock motor in every category. I'm working on changing that but it won't be for awhile till I have something.
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 96 g16 any advise on weather to buy a clone motor or do add ons to stock?

It does say bored carb, I don't see anything about head or cam or other internal mods. Odds are they freed up the intake/exhaust and it gets more rpm thus higher HP, while it really does not make much more power. A clone is easily over 15hp just taking the governor off for more rpm, even more if you do cheap mods like HD springs/timing key/etc. It already has 1/3 more displacement to make more torque, and the stock clone ports are far larger than the G9 engine I compared it to.

The basic fact is there is no way a stock engine without serious head work and cam will hang with a stock 420 clone and $30 in parts (rev kit: springs and key). But the clone will be much more work to get in your cart and working right. The kits and mounts make it easier but you still have to hook everything up and may need a quieter exhaust than they offer. But you will have more power have no doubt, and for cheap, that is why people bother to put clones in and half of them don't even tune them or put rev kit parts on or make sure the airbox/exhaust is free flowing. Some post here it has more power and they are running stock cart exhaust, but if that meets their needs great I guess.

In the end get what you want! Easy to put parts on a stock motor, lot more work to swap the motor to anything be it clone or something else. It really depends on how much more power you want, and what kind of project you are willing to take on. I had <$400 into the first 420 clone (~$300) I did using a car airbox and muffler ($10 each at a bone yard) and used 1" pipe fittings, pvc fittings, welded in bars for a mount, stock clutch adapter ($50 att). The second one was near $600 with a home depot clone ($264 on sale) and I used nicer stuff like a custom made header with a pivot and a SS car muffler ($100+ into exhaust), had the head ported and cut, some performance parts, etc. Still all stock inside the block and has run 38mph on 22s. The stock cart with no parts on the motor at all other than jetting and removing governor will valve float at 31mph. Stock G9 engine did 28mph but was way slower getting there. The stock clone will lift the front tires on a steep hill with two people on it, stock power would barely move it, difference is huge. Sure that was a tired G9 motor, but not that tired.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #13
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
The basic fact is there is no way a stock engine without serious head work and cam will hang with a stock 420 clone and $30 in parts (rev kit: springs and key).
Challenge accepted, price won't include fuel injection or ignition.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfherrman View Post
Challenge accepted, price won't include fuel injection or ignition.
And no forced induction Seriously the ports and cam are small, and its a third smaller to start with. Many people here have tried the only one that really did something was a custom ground cam and its a lot of trouble and expense. You have to port through the walls and reweld the ports shut to get them large enough.

Don't forget when you drop a clone in you also get a brand new engine.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #15
cfherrman
Gone Wild

No Fi no fun
Old 10-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #16
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Lol, sounds like fun but not sure its worth it on stock engines. I guess they are good as a lawn engine so maybe they are good enough to play with just smaller.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #17
1992G8
Gone Wild

I bought a VC 460 complete engine and kit for my 1992 G8. It's fast and has tons of torque. It is fun to drive. The only thing I don't like about it is the noise, and I'm not talking the exhaust noise. The noise from the clutch (Comet 780) and the engine, coupled with the vibration is slightly annoying.

I recently bought a 1999 G16. I'm going the Plowman's hot set up on this one. I really just want it to reach a decent top speed on flat asphalt. I think I'll like the Plowman's better because it should be much more smooth and quiet, yet still have a good top speed.
1992G8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #18
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992G8 View Post
...I'm going the Plowman's hot set up on this one. I really just want it to reach a decent top speed on flat asphalt. I think I'll like the Plowman's better because it should be much more smooth and quiet, yet still have a good top speed.
Is it the kit increasing to 14 or 15HP?

Would you please keep us informed when done? *smile
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some of the clone kits get rid of the stock motor mounts, that can up the vibration levels. Setting my lash a few times during a long break in and using a car muffler I don't really notice noises much more than stock, other than the car muffler does get louder at higher throttle and the stock exhaust did not, but I kind of like it. Its quieter than an atv but I can hear it roar a little. If I keep it under 1/4 throttle it is hard to tell from stock and actually quieter than other brands of stock carts. Yamaha gas tend to be really quiet even in older G2/9 carts when they are working properly. An older 90s CC is louder than my cart until I hammer the gas, and that muffler is larger than mine by far.

I think you can make a clone quiet it just takes some work to do. I'm not sure on the clutch my 94c and the stock G9 made little or no noises. My exhaust joint does rattle a little at times usually at lower speeds, but even that is not very loud. Its held together with springs. Other times it does not.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #20
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Not here to bash plowman's either but the stock engine is 10 hp and after the $500 in mods what are you up to 14hp? And when you look what is actually done to the engine itself ,carb rejet, intake and exhaust tracts improved resulting in a 40% power gain? A 40% gain with tiny little carb , intake and exhausts ports, valves , and cam. That is an engineering miracle.
Not bashing Plowman? Looks like you are calling him a liar and your info is wrong. Don Plowman is not a liar. He has been at this 25+ years and is very highly respected all across the golf cart world.
It's cool that you are a cheerleader for Vegas however, bashing is not tolerated here Ray.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha