lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #11
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Tow a trailer up an incline with cart

Wild skies if you weld all of the bolted intersections of the rear seat assemblie it will make it rigid enough to handle the reviver hitch. A friend of mine did this and it has been working for him.
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #12
Wild Skies
Not Yet Wild

If one were to weld all the bolted connections together wouldn't it make it pretty difficult to remove/repair/replace a part or parts if needed?

The selling dealer tells me he has sold literally hundreds of these Madjax trailer hitches that attach directly to the foot rest by bolts only and hasn't received any complaints of damage from those that have them.
Wild Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Skies View Post
If one were to weld all the bolted connections together wouldn't it make it pretty difficult to remove/repair/replace a part or parts if needed?

The selling dealer tells me he has sold literally hundreds of these Madjax trailer hitches that attach directly to the foot rest by bolts only and hasn't received any complaints of damage from those that have them.
Are you willing to potentially be the first complaint is the real question here
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #14
Wild Skies
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Are you willing to potentially be the first complaint is the real question here
Can't say that I am -- that's what prompted my initial post.

Maybe I should ask . . . Has anyone here damaged their Madjax foot rest that has a Madjax Universal trailer hitch attached with bolts only or received any damage to their cart in anyway by towing a light 460 lb. aluminum trailer?
Old 04-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Can't say that I am -- that's what prompted my initial post.

Maybe I should ask . . . Has anyone here damaged their Madjax foot rest that has a Madjax Universal trailer hitch attached with bolts only or received any damage to their cart in anyway by towing a light 460 lb. aluminum trailer?
Why don't you just ask Madjax? Seems it doesn't matter what anybody has suggested what you do. Ask them. I'm sure they will be glad to sell you one.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:07 AM   #16
Wild Skies
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Why don't you just ask Madjax? Seems it doesn't matter what anybody has suggested what you do. Ask them. I'm sure they will be glad to sell you one.
About a week ago I did exactly that in a series of e-mails with Madjax's Research & Development Mgr. Initially, he was concerned that the footrest platform wouldn't hold up to the weight of a 460 lb. empty aluminum trailer. I then asked him to help me understand the purpose of them (Madjax) offering a trailer hitch that only attaches to the footrest if the footrest wouldn't hold up. In our final correspondence he wrote: "It's not the footrest as much as it is the motor and light weight of the golf cart. Pulling that weight up a hill will require a high torque motor, a stock motor will not hold up over time."
Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
About a week ago I did exactly that in a series of e-mails with Madjax's Research & Development Mgr. Initially, he was concerned that the footrest platform wouldn't hold up to the weight of a 460 lb. empty aluminum trailer. I then asked him to help me understand the purpose of them (Madjax) offering a trailer hitch that only attaches to the footrest if the footrest wouldn't hold up. In our final correspondence he wrote: "It's not the footrest as much as it is the motor and light weight of the golf cart. Pulling that weight up a hill will require a high torque motor, a stock motor will not hold up over time."
How on earth does that stock cart get around 18 holes all day with two 300lb guys on it and their bags and a bag of beer and ice....year after year....up hills easily steeper than the one you are talking about. Clueless people. I suppose that may be true for a sparky, I don't know much about those lol.

Far as brakes when you are towing, yes its a concern but depends on what you are doing. I tow on flat areas mostly and I just let off the gas the cart near stops itself because of the weight. If you are on a hill you better be careful, but fact is I don't use my brakes much because its easy to jacknife the cart with a big load (with a too big load). Though my tires have lots of traction so its not really an issue for me it sure would with stock type tire on non paved surfaces. I have gotten sideways on gravel with a boat on that does not have a lot of hitch weight, but I'm very familiar with towing and did it to see what happened. I hit the gas and kept going, it could be dangerous for the clueless to tow a huge load with a cart but not sure brakes would make it any safer (and if they did how much). I'm big on a safe tow rig because I used to tow stuff 600 miles a day years ago. But this cart, I'm usually only going fast as I can run or slower, so I'd bale if I had to lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:34 AM   #18
Wild Skies
Not Yet Wild

Well boys, I am pleased to report there has not been an issue in the least with coming up or going down my walk-out basement-type lot's incline pulling an empty Aluma trailer with a Madjax Universal trailer hitch attached only to the foot rest of the Madjax rear seat assembly. My Yamaha cart handles it just fine, I can stop 'n go at any place throughout the incline without bending the foot rest, spinning the tires or straining the cart.

Thanks to all for your replies.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:58 AM   #19
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was going to chime in that we've also installed quite a few of the footrest mounted receivers without issues. One guy said he wanted to pull his boat with it. We have many at our campground who haul around their little fishing row boats with problem, so I didn't think twice about it. After the install he came back and mentioned it didn't work out quite like he'd hoped. He was putting a 22' speedboat into the water. Hitch worked great, boat went in just fine. But when he was done there was no way the cart would pull that big boat out of the water and up the ramp. I couldn't believe he thought it would.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #20
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Haha, I used to launch a 18ft 150hp speed boat, I had to get in the water and rake the stone past the concrete ramp smooth then it just barely pulled it out at 2mph with a cut sheave and 22s, and this ramp is not steep at all. If there was a dip in the water I had to get help to get out. Now with the clone engine it will burn the tires on the wet ramp which is cool, but have to back into the water and get a run without spinning to get it out or get a rider on to weight the cart down more. Been a while since I put a boat in now but it was fun.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha