lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 king pins and bushings

Does anyone have advice on doing king pins and bushings on a G1? Mine are pretty sloppy and I'm looking to replace both pins and bushings. The factory service manual doesn't really cover this (This manual is lacking so much) and ive not found much in the google box.

When we do club cars at work the spindle is removed, the bushings pressed in then I belive a 3/4 inch reamer is used to ream the bushing for the new king pin. Is this similar on the G1? Any pointers appreciated.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 king pins and bushings

First, you need the serial number of the G1. The bushings/king pins/spindles ect changed from year to year. Actually pretty easy when you have the right parts in hand.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

its an 84. according to what ive found 82- 89 is the same..is that correct?

thanks for the reply
mike
Old 04-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
its an 84. according to what ive found 82- 89 is the same..is that correct?

thanks for the reply
mike
Yes they are...Good for you
Old 04-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

so no specialty tools required then?
Old 04-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Got the pins and bushing today. Took about an hour. no real special tools needed. NOTE: the upper bushing has an o-ring seal in it and the new ones do not come with these seals. I was able to reuse mine, somehow still pliable

Now stays in its own lane but still play in the steering. Looks like the steering box. The idler gear seems to move up and down when changing directions. Anyone know if this is adjustable with shims?

Thanks
Mike
Old 04-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Best you can get will be...take off cover, pack steering box with grease. With the front end jacked up, loosen the pitman adjusting screw jam nut. turn the screw in a 1/4 turn at a time while turning the steering wheel from lock to lock. Once you feel a bind, back off the screw 1/4 and tighten the jam nut.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

this helped but still tends to wonder. I know part of it is the home made lift on as the camber is off pretty goo. also only has one tie rod then a drap link to connect the 2.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

My best luck is tiny bit of toe in, and get rid of any play in the system or arms. It should track pretty good. More toe in tends to make it nervous and turns quick. Toe out makes it wander and turning reaction is lazy on pavement. I left mine loose and drove it until it went straight and turned when you turned it, but was calm at speed going straight or turning slightly. I had to since I've got it up to 38gps and had to tune the steering in.

Part of your problem could be the drag link, they don't work well on A arm suspensions because the distance between spindles changes when the arms move up/down....unless arms are straight (level) and travel of suspension is minimal.

Add to that these carts are getting old and were never made for lifts and high speeds in the first place, you just have to work on it until its the way you want it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha