lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #21
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: question about Vanguard engine interchange

Do you not have the option of rebuilding the current engine?
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #22
frankysfree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoal82 View Post
Do you not have the option of rebuilding the current engine?
I hadn't thought about it. Figured it was cheaper to buy a new one. It smoked a lot before it started knocking so rings are gone. I guess if the cylinder walls are good it can be rebuilt?
frankysfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:38 AM   #23
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Galveston waving,
Is this your first cart? I asked this because trying to cut Corners here save a dollar, that only hurts you down the road if family and friends are going to be riding on the cart, it would make sense to make a reliable and dependable cart. Putting in a clone motor is not as hard as people make it out to be.
Unless you are mechanically inclined and can fix the motor that's broken, as for me I'm not a very good mechanic so I opted for drop and play.
Make two lists, first list try and figure out what it would cost to get your stock motor up and running. The second list should be what it would cost to swap in a new motor. One more list make a list of what it would cost to use your parts on a clone motor.
From there you will be able to decide where and how you want to go. Hope this helps you in some way.
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #24
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can rebuild these engines.
Their are oversized piston and ring kits available, or any part you need can be bought.
It takes more time than just replacing though and you need to have a small engine mechanic you trust or do it your self.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #25
frankysfree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectClubCar View Post
Galveston waving,
Is this your first cart? I asked this because trying to cut Corners here save a dollar, that only hurts you down the road if family and friends are going to be riding on the cart, it would make sense to make a reliable and dependable cart. Putting in a clone motor is not as hard as people make it out to be.
Unless you are mechanically inclined and can fix the motor that's broken, as for me I'm not a very good mechanic so I opted for drop and play.
Make two lists, first list try and figure out what it would cost to get your stock motor up and running. The second list should be what it would cost to swap in a new motor. One more list make a list of what it would cost to use your parts on a clone motor.
From there you will be able to decide where and how you want to go. Hope this helps you in some way.
First cart, yes. Not trying to cut corners. I figured buying a complete engine ready to go in is the furthest thing from cutting corners.. especially at $1000+ for an engine. Just wanting to buy a brand new engine for warranty and ease of fixing and if its a 16hp thats a little better than the factory 14hp one that it came with. Im mechanically inclined and have the tools to go through and fix it but as I said in a previous post, the oil looked like it hadnt been changed since new, it had maybe a 1/3 of what it should have, and the air cleaner, etc was full of mud, and valves looked like they've never been checked indicating hard use and no maintenance so I can imagine probly every part of the engine is worn...
frankysfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #26
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I remember right the only difference between a 14 hp and 16 hp was the carb or carb jetting and restrictors (metal sleeves) in the exhaust ports.
They can be pulled out after the exhaust manifold is off with a pair of pliers.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car