lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
dlwilson
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default theft recovery DS worth rebuilding?

My neighbor likes riding in my electric DS, so he got himself a gas one. He kept in his front yard, and unfortunately two of the local dirtbags stole it a few days ago. Funny story (if it's not your cart) -- they put it on a trailer (also stolen) and got about three blocks before the trailer popped off the ball (no chains) and rolled through a couple intersections and crashed into a fence. The cart came off the trailer rolled over a couple times. Then when the tow company was loading it, it caught on fire, but they put it out pretty quickly. The security cameras show it being stolen from his yard at 3:15 am, and it was in the tow company's yard by 3:45 am.

The bad guys aren't recognizable on camera, but you can see one of them put his hands on the cart to push it, so the cops took DNA swabs, which will take about a year to process, but maybe in a few years he will get popped for this one.

Anyway, my neighbor is more of a buy than build guy, so he's already looking for a new cart. He's offered me the wreck for $1000, minus the wheels. I'm wondering if it would be worth my time to buy it, fix it, and flip it. I'm thinking no, due to cost of parts. I figure it needs:
  • new carburetor, filter fuel lines
  • used top and supports
  • new windshield
  • new wheels and tires
  • new steering wheel
  • wiring repairs or new wiring harness
  • weld up replacement for missing ghetto lift block on RR
  • new RR shock
  • get old steering wheel off, but I can see some weld bead on the nut, so no telling what that involves
  • the steering and suspension all looks okay but I haven't really checked it out

Any thoughts? Go for it? Run away?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1829.jpg (306.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1833.jpg (265.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1837.jpg (428.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1838.jpg (394.2 KB, 0 views)
dlwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Default Re: theft recovery DS worth rebuilding?

In my opinion run far away. $1000 is way too much for that much of a project with that many questions. I don't know the extent of the damage that the fire caused (check all the wiring), but the rollover meant that the frame is likely out of whack and wheels could be bent beyond repair. You will probably have $3000 in it before it can be sold and then you might get $3000 for it.

If it were $200, that might be another story. Just my opinion.
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The biggest gamble is going to be the frame. Even the frame can be replaced with a used one. but its a lot of labor!
Get it rolling and see what you have.

What year is the cart?

I would like to be in it @ $500, even if you go $800 The engine, rear end and clutches would get your money back if you did build it.

He is not far off on his price, but if your looking to turn it for a profit and count your labor it may be a thin margin! if the frame is ok? I think you could put it back for $800-$1000 finding used parts.

Thing is he can part it out and get his asking price.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
jdgriner
Getting Wild

Club Car

It looks like a slick ride... I see all kinds of junk listed from 2,500 - 3k all the time in my area..

But every once in a while one will pop up for a decent price... I paid 1150 for mine and it only needed a coil (sold as running great) (the coil was a nice surprise)

I think 1k is way high... I would offer 500, 750 max

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
jdgriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
dlwilson
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the input. It's pretty much what I was thinking, although I hadn't considered the frame being bent. I did think $1000 was kind of high. I guess if he can't sell it for that, I'd give $500, and just do the minimum to get it running and driving, put 10" wheels on it and let the next person set it up how they want. But really I already have enough projects.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:26 AM   #6
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Looks like my cart,
After a long weekend......
I guess I'm going to be the only one on the thread that says go ahead and buy it back $1,000
Those frames are very sturdy I know I put them through the test on daily basis, as far as the wiring goes there are enough members on this forum to help get the wiring back the way it needs to be.
In my neighborhood cars like that sell for more than $1,000 just because it's a very good platform.
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #7
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

P.S.
It needed a stretch roof anyway, unless you like convertibles... must have been a Chinese front lift, so will change that, those Kawasaki engines are really strong and tough Motors to kill, clean out the carb throw in a spark plug in it, and you're good to go as far as the motor goes, O the dreaded wiring, Club Car uses too many switchs, so we will bypass them when we run new wires. And when you replace the steering wheel go with a bigger steering wheel than what you got and makes them easier to drive one rougher roads,
Even on a budget you could turn quite the profit......
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:14 AM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Its no that bad really. Getting it as cheap as you can at this point under 1000 bucks and youll be fine.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
dlwilson
Getting Wild
Club Car

Update: I decided to pass on this, as I have enough stuff that needs fixing already. But a mutual friend bought the project for $800. He's not very mechanical, so I told him I would help him. So now it's the perfect project: it will stay in his garage, he pays for parts, and I will work on it with him now and then. First steps are to get the engine running.

The original cart owner has already bought a replacement.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car