lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #31
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Default Re: Club car missing bits

Snowd,

I am that guy that you are speaking of, I actually took my axle apart, just so I could remove the governor!!!!!
I don't really have a real explanation of how the governor works, to my understanding the governor kicks in at a certain speed, to keep it from going too fast. I think these carts do about 11 to 12 miles an hour from the factory, in a lot of at low speed comes from the governor, between the governor and the rev limiter, makes those little Kawasaki engines almost Bulletproof!!

I ran my fe290 wide-open everywhere I went, 28 mph @ 4 Grand...... For 2 years straight, until my son sank it in the Gulf of Mexico.....

Hence the big V-Twin....
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2018, 06:42 AM   #32
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

PCC types faster than I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdonben View Post
I think the money you’d spend on a shrink would be better spent on carts anyway lol
Ummm... Too late! I already have! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdonben View Post
Hey guys, what does the governor do, don’t worry I’m not looking to cut it out, I just want to help my understanding a bit more. I hear people that cut them out can damage their carts!
There are 2 speed protection devices on your cart,
One is the Rev limiter, it's an electronic device mounted on the front of your engine,
It grounds out the ignition system and shuts the engine down in the event the engine is forced over it's recommended RPM's.
(this is the one that I think, that you think people "cut out" or disable when they adjust the governor for higher speeds)

The second is the Ground Speed Governor on the transaxle,
(that you need the governor arm for)
When the tires/axles turn faster than the recommended speed,
there's a lever inside the transaxle that turns the governor arm, and it's attached to a cable that runs to the carburetor...
the faster the tires turn, it pulls back, and closes the carburetor butterfly to slow the cart down to specifications.
Once you get everything together and running, you'll notice it right away when you have the Go pedal to the floor going down a hill!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #33
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Don tha Mon !!

NOTICE going on an engineering spill, may be a little technical, but video included :)

we actually had the discussion at work the other day about governors, how they work and what they do. the one in the FE290 is a mechanical governor. works off the centrifugal force principal. The governor (14) is on the shaft inside the transaxle, it is connected to the MAIN shaft that connects to the clutch. This is why it works in forward, reverse, neutral !! Main shaft is always spinning when the engine is spinning since it is connected directly to the Driven Clutch. The faster the shaft spins it forces the components in the governor (14) outwards, pushing the lil pin (10) out and into the arm pivot (19) which is connected to the governor arm (28 ) which the as Lockman says pulls the throttle cable back OFF the carb, reducing fuel flow and slowing engine and your speed. when it does this it expands the spring, as it can NOT stretch the cable and YOU have NOT let off the gas. this is WHY when we zip tie/ clamp the spring we can go faster. the zip tie reduces the ability of the governor to pull the spring out and slow the engine.

Good Simple Video to SHOW what it does on a Robin engine,
similar concept on the Kawasaki with similar parts per attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png Governor SetUp.png (136.2 KB, 0 views)
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:05 AM   #34
snowdonben
Not Yet Wild

Really interesting thanks chaps. The governor parts I need will cost me about £90 here in the UK. It looks like I could just connect the accelerator cable to the throttle, completely remove the govenor element. I am guessing I could buy a tachometer for half the cost and use some common sense to not run balls out everywhere I go??

What do you think guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snowdonben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #35
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

seen it done, a Tach would be advisable.

Here is a post about this a few weeks ago: Please what is this
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #36
snowdonben
Not Yet Wild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snowdonben is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car