lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
kliss
Not Yet Wild

Default 1992 DS Club Car

Hello everyone,

First time poster here, just have a quick question about adjusting speed on my 1992 Club Car. I have been doing some research with this, but just can't seem to find a solution.

My cart is a slower cart, maybe 5 mph top speed, with 2 year old batteries in it. Is there a cheap/easy way to get more speed? Everything is stock on the cart, believe it is 36 volt. Any other details needed let me know. Hope someone can help
kliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1992 DS Club Car

Even for a 36v resistor cart, 5MPH is way too slow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
kliss
Not Yet Wild

It could be up to 7 mph, but yes it is really slow...
Old 03-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
kliss
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliss View Post
Hello everyone,

First time poster here, just have a quick question about adjusting speed on my 1992 Club Car. I have been doing some research with this, but just can't seem to find a solution.

My cart is a slower cart, maybe 5 mph top speed, with 2 year old batteries in it. Is there a cheap/easy way to get more speed? Everything is stock on the cart, believe it is 36 volt. Any other details needed let me know. Hope someone can help
Is it as easy as just getting new resistor coil setup? Or shorten my coil set up now?
Old 03-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If your batteries are good, you have problems with the setup you have. If it was mine I would convert it to a solid state cart. It is not that difficult to do on the cart you have.

Contact one of the site sponsors to get what you need.

Sorry, but cheap and easy rarely apply to anything with a motor and wheels.

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Go to cartsunlimited.net and talk to Scotty B. You can’t go wrong with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
kliss
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
If your batteries are good, you have problems with the setup you have. If it was mine I would convert it to a solid state cart. It is not that difficult to do on the cart you have.

Contact one of the site sponsors to get what you need.

Sorry, but cheap and easy rarely apply to anything with a motor and wheels.

Thanks for the response. What do you mean when you say the setup I have? Like something needs replaced?
You say it's easy to convert, how easy? I'm a rookie on this kind of stuff.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My 99 DS 36v resistor cart does about 12-14 with new batteries. You can check to make sure the brakes aren't dragging, wheel bearings greased and spinning freely, tires inflated properly etc. (mine is a slug when the tires are low).Other than that speed is relative to the amount of money you want to spend!
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliss View Post
Thanks for the response. What do you mean when you say the setup I have? Like something needs replaced?
You say it's easy to convert, how easy? I'm a rookie on this kind of stuff.
You said something about shortening coils etc. There is obviously a problem judging by your speed. I am suggesting instead of spending time and money to fix what you have, to upgrade.

You can certainly fix what you have, I'm just saying if you do you will still be riding around with 100 year old technology.

I don't know what the problem is. I'm simply suggesting (you asked for advice) that if it belonged to me, I would not dump money into fixing a 28 year old resistor system.

"Easy" is a relative term. While I might find it quite easy, you may find it difficult. Check into it and see. That is a decision only you can make.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Kliss:

You have a cart similar to mine. What the others are trying to say here is that it would be best to upgrade the cart. My cart only got about 8MPH and with the upgrades now gets about 15MPH. But upgrades are expensive, especially if you go all out as did I.

There are a couple of things you can do to make sure you are getting the max out of your current configuration. First, check the batteries. You say they are two years old but have you tested to make sure they have been well maintained? There are great instructions on BGW for doing so.

If you find you batteries are good, next check your vglide. Make sure that all of the contacts are bright and shiny and that when you press on the gas pedal, the vglide arm moves the full length of the vglide. OF COURSE DO THIS AFTER FIRST DISCONNECTING THE WIRES FROM THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF THE PACK.

Chances that your resistors are bad is slim. Even in an old cart. By all means, inspect them though. If you do find one broke, let me know. I still have the old ones from my cart.

Let us know what you find out. The gurus on here may have other ideas or even correct my instructions. I'm still learning too. Just remember you can do this. Take you time, ask questions, and, most of all, post pictures so we can see what you are seeing.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car