lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Cart just stopped.

My 36-volt limo cart is not in a good place right now. On Friday my wife drive it down through our neighborhood taking our kids to school. She said that it was running much slower than before. Now if my memory served it had not been on the charger the night before. So she put it on the charger. When I got home I went to use it and it seemed to work fine. But it just stopped working when I drove back home. Well, stopped isn't really the symptom. When you press the pedal, you can hard the solenoid click, and the motor "tries" to go. This is the same in forward or reverse. Luckily it stopped right in front of my house. Is able to push the cat back in the garage.

I suspected the battery and brought out my multimeter. The battery pack was in fact low. So we put it on charge. The next day I checked the batteries again and they looked okay with voltage. There was only one that was lower than the rest.

One = 3.38 & 5 = 3.45<

I checked the water levels, and while they were a little low, they weren't bad and no plates were exposed.

I was be doing some more troubleshooting later. I really just hope the battery pack is bad, this way I'll be contacting Scottyb to make the jump to 48-volt sooner than later.

I know it would be a little pricey, but I know the wife will like it much better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Denzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #2
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart just stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzone View Post
My 36-volt limo cart is not in a good place right now. On Friday my wife drive it down through our neighborhood taking our kids to school. She said that it was running much slower than before. Now if my memory served it had not been on the charger the night before. So she put it on the charger. When I got home I went to use it and it seemed to work fine. But it just stopped working when I drove back home. Well, stopped isn't really the symptom. When you press the pedal, you can hard the solenoid click, and the motor "tries" to go. This is the same in forward or reverse. Luckily it stopped right in front of my house. Is able to push the cat back in the garage.

I suspected the battery and brought out my multimeter. The battery pack was in fact low. So we put it on charge. The next day I checked the batteries again and they looked okay with voltage. There was only one that was lower than the rest.

One = 3.38 & 5 = 3.45<

I checked the water levels, and while they were a little low, they weren't bad and no plates were exposed.

I was be doing some more troubleshooting later. I really just hope the battery pack is bad, this way I'll be contacting Scottyb to make the jump to 48-volt sooner than later.

I know it would be a little pricey, but I know the wife will like it much better.

Just checked the voltage (charger not plugged in last night) and voltage is 38.3v. Put the charger back in and needle on the charger only went up to about 5 on the Guage, but it is humming.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check the batteries under the load of driving. Attach the handheld meter to the whole pack and report the drop in voltage... then do the same for each individual battery 1-6.
48 volts would be much better for this BIG cart. It should never have been designed for 36v. No manufacture makes a 36v today, especially a limo.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Check the batteries under the load of driving. Attach the handheld meter to the whole pack and report the drop in voltage... then do the same for each individual battery 1-6.
48 volts would be much better for this BIG cart. It should never have been designed for 36v. No manufacture makes a 36v today, especially a limo.
Thanks, I will be checking that out this afternoon. This is a good excuse to get the wife on board [emoji16].

Old 04-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I am pretty sure it is a bad battery. Here is the numbers.

Right after chargeAfter pedal pressed

FP = 38.3 35.3

B1 = 6.34 4.04

B2 = 6.41 6.39

B3 = 6.4 6.39

B4 = 6.42 6.41

B5 = 6.39 6.38

B6 = 6.45 6.44

During loadAfter load test

FB = 26.7 35.3

B1 = 1.4 3.34

B2 = 6.29 6.34

B3 = 6.28 6.34

B4 = 6.3 6.34

B5 = 6.29 6.34

B6 = 6.41 6.38

The layout with the batteries are.
B1 B4
B2 B5
B3 B6

Positive is connected to B1
Negative is connected to B4

Old 04-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Battery B1 is little more than a boat anchor.

If it is a series drive, think about replacing the mechanical F/R switch assembly with a reversing contactor. It'll save the motor amps from going through several feet of cable and fewer amps will be converted to heat by the amp delivery system.

If you need more range, you have room for eighty 6V batteries under the seat. Otherwise use six 8V - 170AH batteries to get about the same range as a good 225AH 36V pack delivers.

Greater than 170AH 8V batteries will also have greater range, but 8x6V will get you the greatest range possible. See attached chart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48V kWh Comparisons.JPG (105.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Battery B1 is little more than a boat anchor. [emoji107]

If it is a series drive, think about replacing the mechanical F/R switch assembly with a reversing contactor. It'll save the motor amps from going through several feet of cable and fewer amps will be converted to heat by the amp delivery system.

If you need more range, you have room for eighty 6V batteries under the seat. Otherwise use six 8V - 170AH batteries to get about the same range as a good 225AH 36V pack delivers.

Greater than 170AH 8V batteries will also have greater range, but 8x6V will get you the greatest range possible. See attached chart.
Thanks... The cart is a series version with a high capacity f/r switch. I do plan on switching or the f/r switch as it would be easier for the wife and layer my young kids. When the cart was purchased the guy who sold it really didn't say how old the batteries where. The ad only said good batteries, and I can not find any battery info on the batteries. I had been wanting to move up to 48 volts, this just is the timeline.

The FSIP controller I have does support 48v but I think I would just like to get the Altrax.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I just noticed I had a typo in my post. I added a "y" to eight.

One of the many nice things about the Alltrax SR family of controllers is the ability for the user to tweak various parameters so the controller is uniquely tuned for your specific cart, plus you can have more than one driver profile. One for adults and another for kids.

Do the batteries have any labels on them other than the warning label on top?
Any info would be useful in trying to figure out what they are.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

So, I have reached out to ScottyB and got great information. My next question is, should I wait to purchase the batteries till I get all the electronics in, or should I get them and have them sitting in my garage till I get the electronics.

While I would love to just bite the bullet and get all the components he recommended at one time, I am going to have to purchase a few at a time.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #10
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I knew my tires were big, but they are huge. Going to take Scottyb's advice and just go all the way.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO