lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
returntoport
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO 36 Volt No Power Up Hills

I have a 1999 EZGO 36 volt Series model 1000 utility cart. Everything is stock, wheels/tires no lift. Got it out this year and it will not go up any incline but runs fine on the flat. New batteries last year. Took the motor in and had it gone through new armature, brushes and bearing to eliminate that. Still has same issue. Voltage seems to be fine at the batteries 37.4-37.6. I followed a trouble shooting guide from a previous post and voltage at controller seems to be fine.
returntoport is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO 36 Volt No Power Up Hills

Your batteries are only about 80% charged. Full charge is 38.2V. (SoC chart attached)

Were the batteries placed on charge at least once every month over the winter?

What does the battery voltage drop to when trying to go up hill?

Also check the voltage drop of each individual battery. Some may be dropping more than others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (63.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
returntoport
Not Yet Wild

I did not charge the batteries once a month during winter I charged them full in December and then again in March. I just put the charger on after my last post and checked voltage this morning and it was 37.8. Why would I not be getting a full charge? I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in and it charged for approx. 5-7 mins. Checked voltage with charger on read 44.3. I will check voltage on incline. Thanks

Last edited by returntoport; 04-29-2018 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Add comment
Old 04-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
returntoport
Not Yet Wild

Checked voltage on incline full throttle half way up the incline about 5 yards it drops to 34.7 and comes to a complete stop and then the voltage climbs to 36.8 but the cart wont move. When I back down the hill I checked the voltage 38.2-38.9 it varies back and forth.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntoport View Post
I did not charge the batteries once a month during winter I charged them full in December and then again in March. I just put the charger on after my last post and checked voltage this morning and it was 37.8. Why would I not be getting a full charge? I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in and it charged for approx. 5-7 mins. Checked voltage with charger on read 44.3. I will check voltage on incline. Thanks
Lead-Acid Deep-Cycle batteries self-discharge at about 1% per day and the plates sulfate (aka aging) whenever the charge is less than 100%. The aging occurs more rapidly and more permanent when the charge drops below about 70% SoC, which is typically reached in roughly 30 days of storage after being fully charged.

Sounds like you have a battery charger that shuts of when the On-Charge voltage climbs into the 44V-46V range (typical shutoff point for legacy type chargers). When a lead-acid battery is charged, a "Surface Charge" develops, but it contains little energy and rapidly depletes via self-discharge. It takes about 12 hours to deplete enough for the battery voltage to reliably be used to estimate the battery's State of Charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntoport View Post
Checked voltage on incline full throttle half way up the incline about 5 yards it drops to 34.7 and comes to a complete stop and then the voltage climbs to 36.8 but the cart wont move. When I back down the hill I checked the voltage 38.2-38.9 it varies back and forth.
It depends on how steep the hill is, but the cart ought to still be moving at 34.7V on a 25% grade or less.

Check the individual battery voltages.

At-Rest, they should all be within 0.1V of each other.

Check individual battery voltages climbing a mild hill. They should all drop to the same voltage on the same hill.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO